Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Police s45A Mail form - was refused one

Yep need them they wont issue you with one otherwise ive been refused on that a few times now so i just have all the details with me now

And why argue yes maybe it is tecnicly not requied but how hard is it to give them the details honestly and its not realy worth worrieing about theres far bigger fish to fry than worrieing about weather the police ask you for sellers details or not

As a seller Im someone who wouldnt want to just hand over my address where guns r kept to a perfect stranger. Not all strangers are bad but not taking that risk.. so i want to make sure the police stop asking.

All police are strangers to me?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This illustrates clearly and conciesely why I cant be bothered ordering online.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    As a seller Im someone who wouldnt want to just hand over my address where guns r kept to a perfect stranger. Not all strangers are bad but not taking that risk.. so i want to make sure the police stop asking.
    I would be more worried about the police seeing your avatar if I was you.
    outdoorlad and Maca49 like this.

the way it was put to me is they check the fal of the seller on the computer to make sure everything matches up remember that these police that are on desk duty are not firearms experts.... they are not arms officers they are normal cops who happened to be on shift in the office (after hours) they bring up the form it askes for sellers details they will ask you for those details so if as you say they are not needed then they need to get rid of that section of the form I never ask the seller for the address only name and fal number and the police look up the address on the computer using that info that way it gives the seller piece of mind that I am who I say I am and im not going to come and rip them off

You mean to say that the police actually have firearm experts? Must keep them hidden in the cells I havent met one yet. Although some of the nicest firearm collections I believe are owned by AOs. must have a good source of supply?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Maybe the form just needs a quick update, with "(Optional)" next to the seller's section, and also possibly the list of arms and ammunition. By the look of things it just needs the buyers details, the date, and the officer's badge number and contact number.

Or just go to an opt-in online database accessible through say, gunshops, cop shops, JPs etc, and just do a search of the buyers number as supplied and see if he does in fact have a license. The buyer would need to 'activate' himself for a set period on the database so he can be checked on (Fortnight maybe?), seller checks at their end, tah-dah
    Trevs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    They would be so easy to fake for a crim, mostly if they want to buy a firearm, just download the form off the internet put any AO name (easy to google it) in there and sign it your self (random scribble), just need different hand writing, use an address of someone who looks like they are on holiday as the purchaser address and a random number (close to a normal number) for a firearm licence no. Only way you would find out its fake if you ring the police station, don't think anyone (Private Sale) would bother to ring and find out.

Like for me there is nothing stopping me from using this same S43A mail order form over and over, there's no Seller information, if there was could easily photo shop it out and the police like I said don't keep a copy so how would they know if I use it more than once.

At the end of the day the whole form is a piece of shit paper that makes it easier for crims to get guns
    You've just described the reasoning behind stopping online/mail order sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I would be more worried about the police seeing your avatar if I was you.
    If there is a Z apocalypse I'll try my best not to look to excited
    Kscott and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    the way it was put to me is they check the fal of the seller on the computer to make sure everything matches up remember that these police that are on desk duty are not firearms experts.... they are not arms officers they are normal cops who happened to be on shift in the office (after hours) they bring up the form it askes for sellers details they will ask you for those details so if as you say they are not needed then they need to get rid of that section of the form I never ask the seller for the address only name and fal number and the police look up the address on the computer using that info that way it gives the seller piece of mind that I am who I say I am and im not going to come and rip them off
    FAL not required if your selling Ammo. Police Manual section 1.36

Ammunition
    A person who sells/supplies ammunition does not require a Firearms Licence. A person in
    possession of ammunition does not require a Firearms Licence, but must possess it for
    lawful, proper and sufficient purpose (Section 45, Arms Act 1983).

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    isn't any other way that I can see of checking to see if someone has firearms without a current license,
    That's not what 43a is for, it's to check the purchaser does. Also, if someone doesn't have a (current) license, and they sell it someone who does, and they check that they do, is that a problem?

What it comes down to is are you going to help the police to do the arms and licensing work or are you going to obstruct and give them more opportunity to complain that firearms owners are all anti police and need more restrictions?
    No. The issue here is that the obstructions seem to be on the other side of the desk. I obey the law, so should they.

Or, do you want unlicensed people running around with things they shouldn't have
    Eh? What does that have to do with it? Unlicensed holders don't go down the police station and fill out a form, they buy the rifle off Joe down the pub, or get them in burglaries

It's a cross-checking device.
    Theres been a couple of instances where sellers have been reminded to get their licenses renewed etc via that system.

How do you figure that when the cop looks at the form and signs it and I take it away?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    How do you figure that when the cop looks at the form and signs it and I take it away?
    I have one station that did fill it online but most of the time they sign and give it back to me. As u sais No copy is kept. The s43a is only meant to prove ur a licence holder, nothing more than that.