Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quiet rifles? Mine makes a racket.

Quiet rifles? Mine makes a racket.

So I have a Tikka T3, nice rifle but loading it is SO DAMN LOUD. I didn't really notice until I started shooting with a single-shot Baikal (great rifle) which I can operate in total silence to load right in front of something I'm about to shoot at. The T3 makes loud clicks when opening the bolt, picking up the round, and chambering the round. I can silence some of those by going slowly and carefully, but really... who wants a loud rifle when stalking? I make enough noise standing on twigs and scraping branches and I don't need my rifle making any more noise!

So... what's your quietest rifle (and its action)? (other than a Baikal)
    Thanks to the Playstation we have the outdoors to ourselves!

i find all of my bolt actions are noisey little bastards. so i learned to walk around with a round up the spout.
    HUNTY, Spudattack, Happy and 1 others like this.

I reckon my baikal is noisier

LJP
    Until you have to reload the Blaser is very quiet. You can keep one up the spout with the bolt decocked safely then simply push the quiet thumb piece forward on the bolt when you are ready to go.
    Blaser likes this.

Have you tried the half-cock bolt mod on your Tikka?
    I don't own one so can't speak to their efficacy but the system seems popular

Any thing mag feed is going to have a bit of noise there,mikala is about as bad as it comes though. Just drop a round into the chamber instead of feeding it. Or Cha,her a round and use the safety.

Stick with the Baikal, Thompson centre pro hunter, or Bergara
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brodster View Post
    So I have a Tikka T3, nice rifle but loading it is SO DAMN LOUD. I didn't really notice until I started shooting with a single-shot Baikal (great rifle) which I can operate in total silence to load right in front of something I'm about to shoot at. The T3 makes loud clicks when opening the bolt, picking up the round, and chambering the round. I can silence some of those by going slowly and carefully, but really... who wants a loud rifle when stalking? I make enough noise standing on twigs and scraping branches and I don't need my rifle making any more noise!

So... what's your quietest rifle (and its action)? (other than a Baikal)
    I must say, my flatmate's T3 in 7mm is quite a noisy beast. It's got sort of an echo-ey sound to it, like the stock amplifies it. Doesn't worry him at all though

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Until you have to reload the Blaser is very quiet. You can keep one up the spout with the bolt decocked safely then simply push the quiet thumb piece forward on the bolt when you are ready to go.
    That is one of Blasers best features in my opinion . It is 100% safe to carry with a round up the spout if it has been decocked .
    It's the only firearm that I've owned that I feel happy carrying with a live round chambered and bolt fully closed .

Ken
    Blaser and kiwijames like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

The quietest repeater to reload I've come across is the old BSA "Hunter" type actions, they were noticeably quieter than a Mauser or Remington 700 when we did a comparison once (a very long time ago !!)

My Model700's are noisy when pushing the round out of the mag. The actual closing and opening of the bolt is pretty good.

The trick as you push the bolt forward put your thumb on top of the case. The noise comes from it poping up into the action. Use your thumb to control it. Tilt rifle forward and down and slowley push the bolt forward and lock it down. To stop a the eco type sound hold the action agenst your leg. Works for me i have a t3 aswell as older m695 and rem 700s and can load them all very quiet.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    That is one of Blasers best features in my opinion . It is 100% safe to carry with a round up the spout if it has been decocked .
    It's the only firearm that I've owned that I feel happy carrying with a live round chambered and bolt fully closed .

Ken
    Just as well they designed that into it, cause its fffffing noisy chambering a round, you can't sneak one in quietly they have to be chambered solidly to properly engage and cock...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Just as well they designed that into it, cause its fffffing noisy chambering a round, you can't sneak one in quietly they have to be chambered solidly to properly engage and cock...
    It seems that the designers got it right then by developing the decocking feature , what a surprise and happy coincidence that was .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    The trick as you push the bolt forward put your thumb on top of the case. The noise comes from it poping up into the action. Use your thumb to control it. Tilt rifle forward and down and slowley push the bolt forward and lock it down. To stop a the eco type sound hold the action agenst your leg. Works for me i have a t3 aswell as older m695 and rem 700s and can load them all very quiet.
    Bang on. I can load mine in ralative silence with this method, tiny bit of a scraping sound as the brass slides into place but no clunking.
    I also think that the T3 has a very quiet safety, as apposed to my mod 7 tang which is quite loud.
    brodster likes this.