Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Rattle gun suggetions

R93
    Brought scopes from Oz in my carry on heaps of times. Brought them in as well No dramas at all.
    I don't have it in its original box and how are they to know where I got it. Been questioned about them but only to start a conversation about hunting and the like.
    Just re read the importation of accessories. Scopes are not on the list
    So safe to carry in and out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 17-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Brought scopes from Oz in my carry on heaps of times. Brought them in as well No dramas at all.
    I don't have it in its original box and how are they to know where I got it. Been questioned about them but only to start a conversation about hunting and the like.
    Just re read the importation of accessories. Scopes are not on the list
    So safe to carry in and out.

True, the importation of scopes and firearm accessories does not require a permit. However, exporting does.

The Australian Government monitors and controls the export of firearms and related goods. Firearms, firearm parts, accessories and ammunition, regardless of the state, age, completeness or working condition, are subject to export controls under Commonwealth legislation.

To export an item subject to these controls, the exporter must first obtain authorisation from a delegated officer of the Australian Government.

Export Firearms : Department of Defence

Scopes and accessories that are being exported without the firearm, are required to have a Defence Export Permit.

A Defence Export Permit may be used to export all forms of firearms and related goods including those where an Restricted Goods Permit may be used.

Permits are valid for twelve months from issue and are issued by the DECO.

There are certain circumstances for which only a Defence Export Permit can be used. These include:

-exports of five (5) or more firearms;
    -unaccompanied exports; for example, goods being exported as cargo or by courier;
    -exports of any amount of higher-risk or military firearms including their parts, accessories, and ammunition. This includes firearms referred to as Category C and D under State and Territory legislation, firearms over 0.50” (12.7mm) calibre and all automatic firearms;
    -any firearm parts, accessories, sights, ammunition, magazines, etc, being exported without firearms; and
    -firearms being exported for the purpose of repair, return, sales or as a gift.

To apply for a Defence Export Permit you will need to complete an Application to Export Controlled Goods and Technology form.

Firearms Permit : Department of Defence

While many people have done so without the required paperwork. I would suggest against doing so in the future.

Penalties

Failure to obtain permission to export is an offence under section 233BAB of the Customs Act 1901 and can attract a penalty of up to A$425,000 and or imprisonment for up to 10 years.

R93
    I'll do what I want. I am not exporting anything. I am taking what's mine. home😆

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I'll do what I want. I am not exporting anything. I am taking what's mine. home😆

I'm sure the magistrate will accept that as your defence.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

R93
    Don't really care. I travel through 3 international airports every 6 weeks.
    I have never had an issue with anything I have brought in and out of Australia most of it has been carry on and gets x-rayed twice.

If a Majistrate is going to do me over a sling swivel or scope good luck to the idiot. I couldn't care less😆

Last edited by R93; 18-06-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Nice to see you care about following the law.

Best of luck.

I hope others aren't quite so cavalier about arms laws. Doesn't reflect well on firearm owners.

*apologies for the hijack*

R93
    Get over yourself. It is a fucking scope.
    Not a firearm in any context therefore no need to infer the worst to prove your point

Go find someone else to condescend.

outdoorlad, BRADS and steven like this.

I'm not inferring anything.

You flat out said you don't care about obeying Australian
    export laws.

Whether you consider it "just a scope", makes no difference under Australian law.

R93
    I will change my evil ways. Right after I bring in my next gift.😆
    Go ruin another thread seeing you have influenced and guided me to reform.

Who gives a shit what Australians think about anything
    kiwijames, BRADS, Dan and 1 others like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Who gives a shit what Australians think about anything
    Suushhhh! Since when have you know any Australian to bend the rules to get what they want😆 They are just too proper😅

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    True, the importation of scopes and firearm accessories does not require a permit. However, exporting does.

The Australian Government monitors and controls the export of firearms and related goods. Firearms, firearm parts, accessories and ammunition, regardless of the state, age, completeness or working condition, are subject to export controls under Commonwealth legislation.

To export an item subject to these controls, the exporter must first obtain authorisation from a delegated officer of the Australian Government.

Scopes and accessories that are being exported without the firearm, are required to have a Defence Export Permit.

A Defence Export Permit may be used to export all forms of firearms and related goods including those where an Restricted Goods Permit may be used.

Permits are valid for twelve months from issue and are issued by the DECO.

There are certain circumstances for which only a Defence Export Permit can be used. These include:

-exports of five (5) or more firearms;
    -unaccompanied exports; for example, goods being exported as cargo or by courier;
    -exports of any amount of higher-risk or military firearms including their parts, accessories, and ammunition. This includes firearms referred to as Category C and D under State and Territory legislation, firearms over 0.50” (12.7mm) calibre and all automatic firearms;
    -any firearm parts, accessories, sights, ammunition, magazines, etc, being exported without firearms; and
    -firearms being exported for the purpose of repair, return, sales or as a gift.

To apply for a Defence Export Permit you will need to complete an Application to Export Controlled Goods and Technology form.

Firearms Permit : Department of Defence

While many people have done so without the required paperwork. I would suggest against doing so in the future.

Penalties

Failure to obtain permission to export is an offence under section 233BAB of the Customs Act 1901 and can attract a penalty of up to A$425,000 and or imprisonment for up to 10 years.

Australia is a land of a million rules, practically a Police state if you want. It is also a Country of people who know how to get round or ignore those rules in my experience. They don't particularly like or respect their police force either (also in my personal experience). Not a good place in this respect.
    Proudkiwi likes this.

R93
    Back on topic. What mags does everyone run?
    I have a couple brand new colt 30rnd mags and a couple 20rnd Nz Army issue ones.

Are there good plastic ones or just stick with what I have?

I like alloy 20 rounders, 30 would be better for gun games but I like the little ones

shoot the alloy ones til you have a problem with them imo
    R93 likes this.

K95
    I may have a 20 or 30 round colt mag in my pile of gear somewhere I'll dig out for you, I sold my rattle gun a long time ago.
    R93 and anderset20 like this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”