Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Remmy Model 7 on the sling

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    do what guys with suppressors do...swap it to offside shoulder and carry it upsidedown muzzle forward...your hand will rest nicely on forstock,with bonus that on a rainy day water runs out of action/barrel channel, instead of into it.
    I got a swivel stud added to my suppressor or the front end of the stock. Works great.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

OK - figured it out to my satisfaction . . . as a couple of folk have pointed out the problem is that the sling swivel stud on the fore-end is to close to the action relative to the balance point.

After some scheming I've decided to do something akin to one of my favourite rifles that I'll never own, the Sako Black Bear/Brown Bear models. They have a rotating sling swivel base a short way ahead of the fore-end, similar to the Mauser Oberndorf sporters (although the Mauser ones don't rotate) - its a fancy European thing that we don't see here because its expensive to make.

Just by chance a No1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield front sight base is exactly the right internal diameter to machine do the Black Bear thing on the Model 7 barrel.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I have Sako 85 Black Bear. The barrel sling base doesn't swivel though and isn't designed to. I don't particularly like using it and prefer to attach the sling via the threaded insert on the Black Bear's fore end in the usual way.

talking on sling attachments....some older style rifles like the m1 carbine had rear attachment point in middle of flat side of butt so rifle carried flat on your back....interesting it didnt catch on or dont see it done anymore.anyone got one slung like that and whats it like???????

GWH
    talking on sling attachments....some older style rifles like the m1 carbine had rear attachment point in middle of flat side of butt so rifle carried flat on your back....interesting it didnt catch on or dont see it done anymore.anyone got one slung like that and whats it like???????
    I have seen some more tactical type stocks that attach the sling in that way. Whatever the stock is that the pommy LR fox shooter (260RIPS on Youtube) uses on his 260 Rem, has the sling mounted that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have seen some more tactical type stocks that attach the sling in that way. Whatever the stock is that the pommy LR fox shooter (260RIPS on Youtube) uses on his 260 Rem, has the sling mounted that way.
    The Choate and German Mausers had a similar system.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Hmmmm - @10-Ring it was a long time ago that I briefly fondled a Black Bear in a shop so my memory may be at fault, I was sure the one I saw the ring rotated freely . . . they don't have a lock on them do they ?? In any event the one I'l adapt is close enough fitting that I can just sweat it on permanently just like my Oberndorf sporter rifles

Recknagel make a front sight base that has a rotating ring built into it, but its for large bore barrels. A very thorough scour of the web (including the links provided by Tahr, thanks) turned up only one poor quality ring made by Bisley in the UK that would fit the Remmy barrel at approximately the right point - most are simply too big, even those designed for tube mags on lever actions. I found a split ring that was the right size but it was for airguns and came with a warning that they were not responsible for its security, which is hardly what you want on a hunting rifle used in our robust terrain.

Thanks all
    Tahr likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I have my AR set up the same, sits nice and flat against your back. Easy to un-sling as it doesn't catch up on anything due to the slab sided nature of the action. I can't see why it can't work the same on a bolt gun, just a bit unconventional.

I use my sling as a shooting aid single rap. Whilst holding the fore end. If it’s attached to the barrel would this not affect POI?
    Mines attached to the stock and the barrel is free floating.
    The sling is off one of my Dads old drenching packs from back in the early 80’s so has a lot of sentimental value.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmmm - @10-Ring it was a long time ago that I briefly fondled a Black Bear in a shop so my memory may be at fault, I was sure the one I saw the ring rotated freely . . . they don't have a lock on them do they ?? ......
    No lock.

Name:  sako.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  443.9 KB
    Dreamer, Tentman and GWH like this.

Nice^^ . Easily the most desirable Sako I've seen. Usually the Euro rifles have the barrel mounted swivel a bit further forward from the stock.
    Name:  P1010312.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  1.08 MB

The bottom rifle is a 257 I was building at the time on a VZ-33 action, and I felt got the swivel a tiny bit too close to the stock.
    doinit and 10-Ring like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Nice^^ . Easily the most desirable Sako I've seen. Usually the Euro rifles have the barrel mounted swivel a bit further forward from the stock.
    Attachment 87100

The bottom rifle is a 257 I was building at the time on a VZ-33 action, and I felt got the swivel a tiny bit too close to the stock.
    You might find that they have the swivel mounted in much the same spot, just they have shorter fore ends