Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Restrictions and conditions on an 'A' Category 50BMG?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Sounds like a good bit of police work. Not all licence holders stay 'fit and proper' to have guns.
    The actual details are a bit tenuous, as others have said the gun was not found, but bassically they found one or two other guns from the same shipment, tested one of them and said it could be a match to the projectile which may or may not be a round nose or hollow point.

My point was not about the actual case, just the fact that the Police have definitely started some sort of serial number register already.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    The actual details are a bit tenuous, as others have said the gun was not found, but bassically they found one or two other guns from the same shipment, tested one of them and said it could be a match to the projectile which may or may not be a round nose or hollow point.

My point was not about the actual case, just the fact that the Police have definitely started some sort of serial number register already.
    I don't have a problem with recorded serial numbers helping convict felons.

Would Winders have been found to be the killer if the vetting officer hadn't recorded the make and serial number of his guns?

Would Winders have been found to be the killer if the vetting officer hadn't recorded the make and serial number of his guns?
    Well he's not been found to be the killer, so no. Also they suspected him because of his jeep
    Jexla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Well he's not been found to be the killer, so no. Also they suspected him because of his jeep
    Winders was convicted of murder, so yes he was the killer.
    Jexla likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Stop-go trial: Quinton Winders guilty of the murder of George Taiaroa | Stuff.co.nz

Quinton Paul Winders has been found guilty of murdering road worker George Taiaroa.

The jury delivered its unanimous verdict at the High Court in Rotorua on Friday.

"Mr Winders, you are convicted of murder. You are now subject to the three strikes law," Justice Toogood said in convicting Winders, 45.

Umm. I think he has been found to be the killer.
    Tommy likes this.

Definitely found to be the killer. But I doubt that the serial number made the conviction since they didn't have the murder weapon to prove it was the same rifle. They just demonstrated that is likely to be the same ie not beyond reasonable doubt. It is after all a very common single shot .22. The other circumstantial evidence looks overwhelming. For the type of murder the guy could have used a crossbow if he didn't have a gun.

Very rare type of incident in NZ since they didn't know each other. Regardless of what you do including logging serial numbers, paperwork, background checks, interviews etc there is always a chance that someone will get through the net. Such is life. The only other way to reduce the risk further of such a thing happening is to prohibit personal ownership of firearms. Ultimately I think that would be the only thing to keep people like systolic happy.

You've conveniently ignored the point about police acting outside the law.

Do you have a problem with the police breaking the law to gather information outside their authority about law-abiding citizens?
    Last edited by GravelBen; 12-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    The only other way to reduce the risk further of such a thing happening is to prohibit personal ownership of firearms. Ultimately I think that would be the only thing to keep people like systolic happy.
    Fuck off. I've got shitloads of guns and don't have a problem with other people owing them. Stop being a wanker.

I just don't have a problem with the cops knowing what the serial numbers are, anymore than I don't have a problem knowing what my car number plate is.

Probably 70% of my guns are on my pistol and collectors licences, so the cops already have the numbers. They can have the others too if they want them.

You must be a young guy, I admire your trust, they wore it out a long time ago with me!!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Fuck off. I've got shitloads of guns and don't have a problem with other people owing them. Stop being a wanker.

I just don't have a problem with the cops knowing what the serial numbers are, anymore than I don't have a problem knowing what my car number plate is.

Probably 70% of my guns are on my pistol and collectors licences, so the cops already have the numbers. They can have the others too if they want them.
    Honestly that's fine, but you can't expect others to be okay with it too, just because you are.
    When I have a safe inspection and they ask to see guns serial numbers/cal's etc I will only show them anything that's registered on my E/B/C and nothing more on principle.
    I have NO legal requirement and the fact they act like I do is the reason that I am not willing.
    josh86 likes this.

I'm more worried they have my address listed somewhere.
    gadgetman likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Honestly that's fine, but you can't expect others to be okay with it too, just because you are.
    When I have a safe inspection and they ask to see guns serial numbers/cal's etc I will only show them anything that's registered on my E/B/C and nothing more on principle.
    I have NO legal requirement and the fact they act like I do is the reason that I am not willing.
    Where have I ever said that I'm not okay with people not wanting to list all their serial numbers?

Didn't I post a couple of hours ago how to AVOID doing just that?

Calm down, you can disagree with someone, someone can disagree with you.
    kimjon, Nickoli and Tommy like this.

Stop-go trial: Quinton Winders guilty of the murder of George Taiaroa | Stuff.co.nz

Quinton Paul Winders has been found guilty of murdering road worker George Taiaroa.

The jury delivered its unanimous verdict at the High Court in Rotorua on Friday.

"Mr Winders, you are convicted of murder. You are now subject to the three strikes law," Justice Toogood said in convicting Winders, 45.

Umm. I think he has been found to be the killer.
    Ah yes so he has. Have been busy the last couple days and missed that they'd come to a verdict.
    Kscott likes this.

Where have I ever said that I'm not okay with people not wanting to list all their serial numbers?

Didn't I post a couple of hours ago how to AVOID doing just that?
    You did, but in your post you also implied we would do it out of paranoia and to help us potentially get off a murder charge.
    300CALMAN likes this.