Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Reticle choice

Reticle choice

I'm keen on a scope (vixen VI) but have a dilemma. What reticle? I think I want a MRAD/mildot, not because i plan on doing lots of long range shooting, but because I like the idea of lower tech shooting and using mental maths to range shots when I need those longer ones. ( That said, I won't turn down a sig sauer bdx set if anyone wants to give one away)
    Are mil dot reticles hard to use in bush hunting or low light?

Identify your target beyond doubt, because you never miss and I'll be missed

I thought with bush shooting ranges were much shorter, and you should really be setting getting to know your rifles point blank ranges. For a bit longer than bush ranges I use a BDC reticle and Strelok (phone app). But I 'draw' the significant points of interest in my wrist in marker pen. For example, 150m/200m/250m/300m. So rather than doing the numbers I just look at my wrist.
    Eat Meater likes this.

I had a ffp vortex scope with a mildot reticle on a t3x, very nice for dialling in longer range shots but not so good in the tight stuff. The reticle felt clogged up with all the bars which are unnecesary for bush shooting. The reticle weas illuminated so not too much differnce in lower light.
    Have switched to a leupold with firedot duplex and much nicer for the bush, still has the range for longer shots too, and put the vortex on a bigger gun for more open country shooting
    Eat Meater likes this.

I have one with elevation and windage marks and fine cross hairs and simply dont rate it for bush hunting -its simply to hard to see in dim light and confusing on quick shots -I rate the euro 4A highly- the combination of heavy posts with a small finer cross hair in middle is hard to beat - Get a plex or euro 4A with turret adjustments if you want long range

about the only thing I care about anymore is that the scopes have a dot in the center for fast snap shots

they have made me a substantially better shot on things that are moving
    Gerbs, 57jl and Moa Hunter like this.

Caretaker
    Leupold TMR reticle

Everything else is a compromise
    DBD likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Leupold TMR reticle

Everything else is a compromise
    I have that in one of my VXRs (with a red dot in it) what is so good about it that Im not making the most of?

I have same. Leupold VXR 3-9*40 heavy TMR reticle with firedot. I sent away and had locking ZL turrets fitted. I've found that with common calibres like 308ein, 30-06, 6.5*55 etc y zeroing at 200-225m a half mrad low is close to bang on at 100 and a half mrad up on the tmr is close to bang on at 300m. Very happy with it. I like the Boone and Crocket reticles as well and also zero at 200 rather than 100 but would love to see these again available in the 2,5-8*36 and 3-9*40 and include HD lenses and firedot.
    chainsaw likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I have same. Leupold VXR 3-9*40 heavy TMR reticle with firedot. I sent away and had locking ZL turrets fitted. I've found that with common calibres like 308ein, 30-06, 6.5*55 etc y zeroing at 200-225m a half mrad low is close to bang on at 100 and a half mrad up on the tmr is close to bang on at 300m. Very happy with it. I like the Boone and Crocket reticles as well and also zero at 200 rather than 100 but would love to see these again available in the 2,5-8*36 and 3-9*40 and include HD lenses and firedot.
    So the firedot for bush/closer work and the tmr for longer shots?

If you get a SFP reticle it will be fine for bush shooting, won't be as thick as a duplex or 4a but will be fine.

FFP is a different story, in theory it is possible to design a reticle that is useful at both high magnification and low magnification but most manufacturers design them to be thin for high magnification and end up being damn near useless in low light/bush type scenarios.

Firedot on minimum or near minimum illumination is very good dawn and dusk even for long shots or other very dull light situations. At lowest visible illumination it covers only 1/2 moa (60mm @ 300m) so it is fine for normal accuracy requirements.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Firedot reticles are exceptionally good for bush, low light and bush edge hunting. I have several Leupold scopes (VXr, VX5 and VX6) with firedot and really rate them. I find the firedot also helps with longer range shooting as it really focuses your eye & brain on the precise POA. There are other cheaper scopes that feature a firedot - I picked up a Weaver 2.5-10x50 with 4A firedot a few years back for under $500. Optics on this scope are surprisingly good. A simple plex reticle with firedot and a 2 hundy zero covers everything out to 300 yards. How far beyond that do you intend shooting in a bush hunting environment?
    For low light consider the optical performance & quality of the scope as much or more than reticle design. It’s pretty hard to get a meaningful assessment of low light performance in the shop. If you can’t see the target clearly mildots or reticle hold points won’t help.

Yes. I should have mentioned that; zero at around 200-225m and for 300 just hold on top of shoulder. Job done.
    Eat Meater likes this.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Thanks all. I've read the price points for optics thread with interest as well, and have some more research to do.

pros & cons really depending on application & preference.
    the thing is if you choose the holdover type reticle you can still sort of use the scope like a normal crosshair style duplex.
    But you can't do the opposite, your only choice with the VI would be to crack the cap/s & dial it(plenty do..).

Personally i enjoy the uncluttered simplicity of a duplex for bush stalking & shooting within my mpbr. good luck
    Muttonguts likes this.