Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Reticle choice

I would go for the plain duplex with those scopes.

Its very hard to use mil dots with a second focal plane scope because you have to set the scope at an exact magnification for them to mean anything. All Ballistic Reticles suffer from the same drawback. If you go to use the scope while its set at a random magnification the dots and hashes arent correct. So theyre good for target shooting but not for hunting.

You can check whether a model is first or second focal plane on the australian vixen optics web site.

I like solid ranging reticles like tmr or b&c esp with firedot. At ranges like bush or up to 300-ish you dont really need such but if your trying for an animal further away you have adequate time to wind up the mag to the appropriate setting.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Hunting mate has “donut of death” on his redfield. With two holdover dots below the donut. Best of both worlds for he who prefers to keep it simple. Seems very effective judging by his results.
    Woody and Eat Meater like this.

Horses for courses.
    Target and long range in good light needs a fine cross hair.

However for my hunting I really like the German #4 type. Heavy enough to make them out against shadow and the finer centre gives precision.
    Have used a BDC type scope but you have to have a sheet giving you the ranges for each different load against the varying marks. Just get confusing.

I don't shoot very long range but I work on a point blank range on deer out to 250 mtr and then a cheat sheet with drops and # click to keep me on target out to 500 mtr.
    Z

Thanks all. Went with a plex in the end. Bought secondhand so I can see how it goes without investing too much too early.

Always identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss and I will be missed
    Bagheera likes this.

Good value to get one second hand.
    Eat Meater likes this.