Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 - Tricks, tips and modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Isn't it ironic that more marlins are sold yet fewer marlinians are asking these questions?
    Ummmm. No it is not ironic. I think you have completely missed the point. Other than putting a lighter trigger return spring in, or maybe an after market spring kit for about $50 then you don't need to. The Marlin does what it should straight from the factory. It doesn't have a massive array of after market parts available because it doesn't need them to do what it should. Unlike the 10/22, unless you send it to a craftsman like @gundoc.
    Savage1, mudgripz and timattalon like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Ummmm. No it is not ironic. I think you have completely missed the point. Other than putting a lighter trigger return spring in, or maybe an after market spring kit for about $50 then you don't need to. The Marlin does what it should straight from the factory. It doesn't have a massive array of after market parts available because it doesn't need them to do what it should. Unlike the 10/22, unless you send it to a craftsman like @gundoc.
    Errr...I think you missed my point . What you wrote is exactly my point. Factory Marlins are better than factory Rugers, hence the need for Ruger owners to do mids and upgrades. My post was directed at timattalon's post about Ruger's appeal being "(it is) an outstandingly practical design. Simple, effective and relatively easy to manufacture". I was saying Marlins are just as good in these aspects plus being cheaper and more accurate - hence my comment about "the irony".

So this thread has morphed from good ideas for playing with a 10/22 to a marlin vs ruger shitfight.... Cut it out kids
    sako75, tetawa, Gerbs and 4 others like this.

Holden vs Ford.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Holden vs Ford.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Both are cars and should get you from a to b

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    So this thread has morphed from good ideas for playing with a 10/22 to a marlin vs ruger shitfight.... Cut it out kids
    it's raining here and I'm bored!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  28.3 KB
    mudgripz and viper like this.

For a cheap rifle (the main reason so many have been sold) the Marlins are OK but far from trouble-free. Their most common problem is misfiring after they are a couple of years old. The design is such that the very small mainspring is very highly stressed and loses power if it is left cocked. It is always a good idea to 'ease springs' on all firearms when they are stored to prevent spring set. Unlike the 10/22, The Marlin M60 trigger mechanism is a fiddly thing to work on with lots of fine bent wire spring and dinky wee circlips. The barrels are press-fitted into a die-cast receiver and retained with a cross pin and, provided this join is not tampered with or bent in any way, will hold good alignment. Of the two rifles, having worked on them both for many years, I much prefer the considerably more rugged manufacture of the Ruger.
    viper and Solo like this.

SiB
    It's interesting learning about the character, or quirks of our rifles. I'm sure the Marlin owners will be equally interested in learning more about theirs, and others choices and tweaks.

And that's the point; let's learn about what we own, or choose not to own! Let's simply avoid the "my rifle is better than yours" statements. In an ideal situation we could all go out and shoot some paper and have a load of fun. Let's maintain that focus!!!

I used to shoot target 22, and had all the stuff - custom jacket, blinder, flappy hat, custom bullet block, etc.... when I stopped , was shooting somewhere 97 to 99.6-7. Sometimes better (Never got a 100.10.... )
    Ansultz, eley tenix ammo etc...
    So I think I know wee bit on making me shoot OK on a paper target and rim fire.

So history aside, when I came back to NZ and got licence etc... I brought a 10/22. Main reason was for having a rifle for fun. I might have been a bit lucky on the one I got, but stock it shot OK, then after a bit of a polish with the dremal and some autosolv, bloody good - not single shot prone target rifle, but what I would consider bloody good. Yes could go and get kidd stuff, replace this and that, but if I was after a 22 that at 20/25 yards could bang one on top of each shot, I wouldn't buy a 10/22 or a jw. But I also wouldn't through it in the car/truck, not clean it that much, or wear what ever and shoot it.

Horses for courses.

If you can offer your tips to make the 10/22 more accurate, offer them up.
    Mine -
    -polish all the friction surfaces
    - use a torque wrench when putting back together (same every time)
    - work out the range for cleaning. Ie does it need 5-10 shots after cleaning to get back on zero etc.... and drops after 100-200 shots
    - not for accuracy, but useablity , do the bolt release mode ( chainsaw file I think it was)
    - and try a few different ammos. Mine likes CCI subs.....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

The auto bolt release mod is so easy and makes it so much better to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping it standard apart from a recoil buffer.
    Also have a plastic slide on silencer and run CCI subs

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  195.5 KB
    gadgetman, Beaker and Milan501 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75
    Keeping it standard apart from a recoil buffer.
    Also have a plastic slide on silencer and run CCI subs

Attachment 61931
    Length of pull seems about right for junior. First thing I did was get rid of the stock as it was too short, and having a chin weld vs a cheek weld when using a scope took some getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    PS. ALL extended mag release catches make it easier to lose your mags! Press the standard button up with your left (or right if you are sinister) third finger and the mag will drop into your hand while your other hand retains control of the rifle.
    I should have listened to you.

I purchased one of these the other day:

Name:  release.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  3.3 KB

I figured this would be the ducks guts as it sits in close to the trigger guard and I THOUGHT it would be a good way to prevent accidental magazine release. Boy was I wrong. I went for a walk last night with my daughter and both of us managed to eject the magazine accidently - and on more than one occasion. Bugger.

So it looks like I'm going back to 'PLAN A', which was to find an original "flush" magazine release. If anyone has one they would like to sell me, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I should have listened to you.

I purchased one of these the other day:

Attachment 62042

I figured this would be the ducks guts as it sits in close to the trigger guard and I THOUGHT it would be a good way to prevent accidental magazine release. Boy was I wrong. I went for a walk last night with my daughter and both of us managed to eject the magazine accidently - and on more than one occasion. Bugger.

So it looks like I'm going back to 'PLAN A', which was to find an original "flush" magazine release. If anyone has one they would like to sell me, let me know.
    God to know, saw these and was tempted but found a different model lying in the parts draw, should have the flush one somewhere but no idea where I will have put that!