Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 - Tricks, tips and modifications

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I should have listened to you.

I purchased one of these the other day:

Attachment 62042

I figured this would be the ducks guts as it sits in close to the trigger guard and I THOUGHT it would be a good way to prevent accidental magazine release. Boy was I wrong. I went for a walk last night with my daughter and both of us managed to eject the magazine accidently - and on more than one occasion. Bugger.

So it looks like I'm going back to 'PLAN A', which was to find an original "flush" magazine release. If anyone has one they would like to sell me, let me know.
    I think I do - and I'll buy that extended release from you.
    I've used that particular one on my rifle for a couple years and never lost a mag

Any tips and tricks to loosen up the mag in the mag well? Since mines got the screw at rear of receiver fitting into the stock the mags don't want to drop out under gravity and need to be yanked out or shaken. Any it's or is it just a good excuse to go from the standard 10round to a 15 so there's something to grab to pull it out and a bit more weight

Also discovered my safety is a bitch to flick off, push partway push back to safe then push all he way to fire. Is it possible that it has rotated somehow? Anyone tried putting a left-handed safety in? If I'm going to take it to bits I might chuck a more appropriate part back in

where do you get the flush magazine releases from? My partner and myself have lost a magazine each

Quote Originally Posted by swellacott View Post
    where do you get the flush magazine releases from? My partner and myself have lost a magazine each
    Have brought a few things of a guy on trade me, alladinz or something good to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by swellacott View Post
    When you find out, let us know. I lost a mag last week and I'm still pissed about it.

Just cut the extension tongue off the latest factory catches, pretty it up with a file and sandpaper, and you have a flush mag release. End of problem! Tight magazines need dressing a little on the 4 vertical corners. A 1mm 45 degree chamfer cut with a sharp chisel will do the trick.
    gadgetman, swellacott and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Just cut the extension tongue off the latest factory catches, pretty it up with a file and sandpaper, and you have a flush mag release. End of problem! Tight magazines need dressing a little on the 4 vertical corners. A 1mm 45 degree chamfer cut with a sharp chisel will do the trick.
    My problem isn't the mags it's the mag well as its only occurred since I had the bolt put in the receiver, has aimed the barrel up a bit, suspect that's why my safety doesn't work as well. Will try your idea of altering mags

Stock modification

My daughter Mikayla (12) was doing ok with the standard rifle but I noted the difficulty she was having with the standing shots.

Name:  2015-10-26 16.32.54.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  190.2 KB

Her smaller frame meant it was difficult to shoulder the rifle correctly so a change was needed. I purchased an old beat-up wooden stock off TM for SFA and set about making some changes. I don't like the standard stocks much at all so anything was going to look better than what I had.

First I trimmed about 2" off the back. By chance this worked out to be about perfect. I cleaned up the butt and using my best wood-working skills plus some cursing and swearing, got the plastic protection to fit.

Next I trimmed a bit of meat off the fore end of the stock. The primary reason for doing this was to make it easier for smaller hands to hold on to. I based the shape on a Winchester M70 Featherweight I have. Mikki indicated this change was an excellent one and she can now hold the fore end much easier. I guess it might have reduced the weight a bit too, although bugger all. I drilled a bit of meat out of the butt of the stock too. While I was there I made sure the barrel was floating correctly in the channel too.

Name:  20160217_183140.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  20160217_183202.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  20160217_184120.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  71.5 KB

After a bit of sanding, some good ol' fashion elbow grease, a few coats of Birchwood Casey Stock Varnish, more elbow grease and finally some TLC, the finished article was handed over for field trials. It was an instant hit - no pun intended. Funny enough, Mikayla now refers to this as "her gun". Hmmmm.

Without checkering on the stock I thought the rifle was looking a little... bland. I wanted to tart it up but I don't even know how to use a chisel, let alone own one. I mulled over the options but left it alone for a few months. When my son was given a craft set for Christmas I noted the small "V" chisel inside the box and the brain started churning out ideas. With no skills and very little appreciation for the time and effort involved I set to. I now believe those guys in European factories who do this as a day job need to be paid more.

The final result was rough enough for the money I got paid and Mikki is rapt with the new addition.

Name:  2017-01-30 17.59.44.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  2017-01-30 18.02.58.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  103.0 KB

Next stop - the local Marae. Maybe I can whip up a bit of carving for the Wharenui.

Being the cheap bugger I am, I used to fashion the V carving tools out of umbrella ribs, and tickle them up on the bench grinder.
    planenutz likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

the number one improvement is a good trigger job, then a plastic buffer pin. then get rid of that dovetail base and put a weaver base and rings on

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    the number one improvement is a good trigger job, then a plastic buffer pin. then get rid of that dovetail base and put a weaver base and rings on
    ...done the trigger job - it's very nice now... plastic buffer was done years ago. Suppose the Weaver base is next then.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    ...done the trigger job - it's very nice now... plastic buffer was done years ago. Suppose the Weaver base is next then.
    And they cost bugger all....

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  622.5 KB
    Pewpewpew!!

Reviving an old post as I have just got a 10/22 and looking for any tips on accurizing it.