Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Ruger American Rifle Generation II

The joys of personal preference. Bang for buck, the Ruger’s have their place.
    Swap firearms to cars and the same type of discussions are raised.
    My Ruger Ranch rifles are my first choice when bush bashing, right tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jhon, Swanny and trapperjohn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The joys of personal preference. Bang for buck, the Ruger’s have their place.
    Swap firearms to cars and the same type of discussions are raised.
    My Ruger Ranch rifles are my first choice when bush bashing, right tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Funny how a simple question can generate such an emotional response from a few people.

Plenty of good out of the box options out there that cost the same. The argument that you need to spend a lot of money to have a good rifle out of the box is just not true anymore
    Hardly an emotional response. Just disagree with you, reasons stated.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Greetings all,
    Things have certainly moved on since I started haunting gun shops in the late 1960's. As near as I can recall there were no more than about 6 chambering options in the more standard new rifles with the .222, .243, .270 and .308 being most common. Add the Milsurp .303 rifles including the Parker Hale upgrades and that was about it. There were more options in more expensive offerings but not many on the racks. I remember seeing a Mannlicher in .22-250 and wondering what it was but the cost was beyond my humble means. A different time.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    techno retard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    Same experience for me. I was seriously considering buying one until I got my hands on it in the flesh. I couldn’t believe how poorly finished the bolt and action were. The Howas are a work of art by comparison.
    I liked the pointability of the ranch but ... Maybe the next gen may be better. I still want something in 7.62 x 39 as the JW103 pencil barrel leaves a lot to be desired

OK, so the actions a bit rough...

how about the factory trigger, good, bad, creepy ?? adjustable ??

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd like one in 223. I like a tang safety. For me it ticks all the boxes as long as accuracy is there.
    Im kind of the same. But do I need 4 .233s ??
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

TLB
    Problem with the gen 11 is the price looks like it will be quite close to the likes of a tikka so it probably won't do all that well.
    Shame because the gen 1 for it's price was a good entry level rifle.
    I've had 3 and they were all as accurate as any tikka I've owned and needed little to no modification. Magazines are terrible but so are the Howa minis and the tikka t1 so it's across the board. Actions aren't smooth but if you want something that is aesthetically pleasing then you probably wouldn't be buying a $950 rifle.

A comparative advantage for the ruger over Tikka will be caliber selection. e.g. 22 ARC

Does the ruger come in different action lengths?
    TLB likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    That's my feeling too. I couldn't hand over $1200-1300 for something like that. It's not a bargain basement rifle, even the much loved Howa 1500 is $100-200 cheaper (cue: MD!). I walked in to a shop to buy a Ruger Ranch, got my hands on it and just thought no. Each to their own though.
    Mine was $900 new, threaded 16" barrel, some sort of coating on the barrel. It has an accutrigger style trigger which I like. Though I must admit I don't like the newer mags, I like a flush mag as it's nicer to carry.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A comparative advantage for the ruger over Tikka will be caliber selection. e.g. 22 ARC

Does the ruger come in different action lengths?
    Yeah I am fairly confident they do, haven't actually paid attention. I still have one in .243 so I'll have a look next time I'm in the safe.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Problem with the gen 11 is the price looks like it will be quite close to the likes of a tikka so it probably won't do all that well.
    Shame because the gen 1 for it's price was a good entry level rifle.
    I've had 3 and they were all as accurate as any tikka I've owned and needed little to no modification. Magazines are terrible but so are the Howa minis and the tikka t1 so it's across the board. Actions aren't smooth but if you want something that is aesthetically pleasing then you probably wouldn't be buying a $950 rifle.
    I can't agree with you about the magazines at least in 223. The pmags are superb unless you want to load long.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Yeah I am fairly confident they do, haven't actually paid attention. I still have one in .243 so I'll have a look next time I'm in the safe.
    Not sure about other calibers but .223 and 6.5 creedmoor are the same. Bolts fit either one so got to double check you have the right bolt before heading off.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Mine was $900 new, threaded 16" barrel, some sort of coating on the barrel. It has an accutrigger style trigger which I like. Though I must admit I don't like the newer mags, I like a flush mag as it's nicer to carry.
    Mine was $820 new, and yes threaded but blued not coated. Trigger is fine for a hunting trigger. Does not compare to my mates $3k Sako 223 but would not take that hunting.

A big consideration for me at the time was the 10rd mag capacity, AR15 Mag compatibility and excellent $85 aftermarket steel mags. Horses for courses...
    Marty Henry, Micky Duck and Swanny like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatberg View Post
    The Howas are a work of art

couldnt agree more LOL...there you go MB
    MB likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Say what you like about the finish quality (and I'd probably agree) but they've got the important things right. With My gen 1, I fitted it with a new scope, measured clicks to ensure it was in the middle of the adjustment range and put it on. Bore sight looked good, first shot at 50m straight through the centre of a half inch bull followed by another 2. How often does that happen?.
    Jhon likes this.