Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ruger American Rifles - any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Ruger has never been known for out of box accuracy. Also it is not known for being the leader in advancement of accuracy improving technologies.

IF you want the highest chance of an accurate rifle out of box -
    1. Tikka T3x is easily the undisputed king of accurate rifle out of box on modest budget;
    2. Savage but only certain models. Savage was the first to come out with accu-trigger type of two stage, customer adjustable trigger on modest budget. They are also one of few to do button-rifling.
    3. CZ, which does not lead the charge for accuracy improvement, but is known for great workmanship. For some models they still do hand lapping.
    4. Howa, which is know now for being a good Tikka alternative.

Personally for a 223 I would go with Tikka T3x although if the option was available I would go with Savage 12 LRPV
    Who wants a .223 in a long action, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Who wants a .223 in a long action, not me.
    some people like the feel of a longer stroke though
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Tikka end of story Anyone that disagree has not had one or can’t shoot EoS
    Flyblown and Cooper like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

The American .243 I had in 2016 for 3 months was shite. The stock was made of bendy plastic that made a Sistema sandwich box feel like Kevlar. The first two flimsy magazines failed, google that particular problem. It flatly refused to feed the third round, then broke. Twice. Infuriating! The third magazine went back with the rifle, it wouldn't free float due to the bendy stock and the fellas at the shop sensibly traded it for a rangefinder. It shot well enough, no better or worse than either the Tikka or Howa in the same calibre.

Never again.
    Just...say...the...word

if you have the 7.62 x 39 just replace the mag assembly with the AR module and you can use your legal AR mags to shoot (up to 10 rounds)

yes. they are tack drivers if you use 5.56 ammo

People around telling me for Ruger Precision Rifle, you need a aftermarket barrel, the factory one is not that good comparing to Tikka.
    But to start with at 223, I guess you probably shoot at 200-500meters? You are probably fine. Long term, 308 or 6.5creedmoor maybe have more fun.

I have just purchased a ruger ranch in 223(5.56) It feels a bit agricultural but will prob smooth out with use. I will test it this weekend with hand loads, fitted 2-7 leupold on it using weaver med height quad lock rings. Trigger is at 4LB and wont adjust any lower. It is what it is a knock about gun i will use in comps and a bit of culling.

Shot one of my best ever groups with a factory sporter with new RAR 270. Ran with Blaser, Tikka, SIG/SHR, Bergara.

My Ranch in 556 shoots and feels very similar to my old AR. Bolt is a bit sticky in the rain, but I'm sure that'll smooth out with use and lubrication. A big plus is not having to move the head while cycling the bolt.

Ruger Ranch Rifles.
    I have three, One in 5.56, One in 300 Blackout and One in 7.62x39.
    Impressed with their accuracy evening using cheap ammo. They are not bad value at their price point (Around $1k each)
    They are a replacement for my now gone AR's and look like they will fill the gap reasonably well for plinking / target shooting and some hunting.
    They are short, light and have a good of the shelf trigger.
    I have mounted a red dot on one and the other two wear a 1-4 and a 1-6 scope.

I will do a brief write up on them in a few weeks time once I have put some more rounds down range.

I also have a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots unbelievable groups with the factory barrel.

I have one in 5.56.
    I put a few hundred rounds through mine last weekend and it performed very well.
    The Bolt needs to wear in, but some auto-sol or bore past and working it will no doubt make it smoother.
    Overall very happy for the price, and it can eat both 5.56 & 223, whats not to like.
    I have a Leupold Mk4 2.5-8 mounted to mine.
    Name:  received_519560985485925.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  248.6 KB
    seano, Fawls and Gordo like this.

My two brothers have the Ranch in .223. One as yet untested, the other shooting under MOA with factory Winchester silver tip ammo.
    I have one in 7.62x39 and it is shooting just over MOA with factory Highland ammo and a 4x scope.

Great little guns for the price.
    Will probably look at a Cerakote finish as the factory finish seems to corrode pretty quick, and a trigger upgrade as I personally don't like the safety blade type (on any rifle). Since the 7.62 takes mini-30 mags, I have made up a 10 rounder out of two 5 round mags with good results.

Hikok45 does a good review of the ranch rifle in 7.62x39mm on you tube. He shoots a heap of different types of ammo including Russian milsurp ammo. He rated it very well. I'm getting a Ruger Ranch rifle to replace my big bad SKS when I hand it in.
    Gun control is using both hands

There's a clip on YouTube where they use some sort of paste and cycle the bolt a few hundred times to bed the bolt in so to speak. It just smooths all the surfaces off and apparently they are smooth as silk after.
    I tried finding the link but couldn't find it again.
    Hikok45 said something about that as well in his review. I have no idea now what the paste was but it was a type of lapping paste.

They call this the California assault rifle. It seems to eat any type of ammo fed to it without any issues.
    Gun control is using both hands