Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ruger American Rifles - any good?

Do these rifles take now verboten magazines?

I'm resisting buying anything more till the end of the amnesty, it's all up in the air. Already probably going to hand in my Kriss and now the PAR I wanted will be dead. The optic I wanted to use with it has short eye relief so that now going to become an expensive paperweight as I dont think anything else legal will work with the eye relief

So is the troy now banned along with all accessories it will accept or is this a "the sky is falling chicken little moment"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    So is the troy now banned along with all accessories it will accept or is this a "the sky is falling chicken little moment"
    Troy has been refused import as it has a 'milspec' trigger and it is capable of 'close to semi auto fire' - see the 55six Facebook post. My understanding of the new law was that a part of a prohibited firearm was no longer considered prohibited when used on a non prohibited firearm, and a gun is either semi auto "self loading" or it isn't, but this appears to not be the case.

However I'm not keen to buy something I may have to hand in again even if it later reversed and allowed in, just over it.

Close to semi automatic fire? Is that a new definition of something. I've used a troy and would never buy one, it offers no advantage over a magazine bolt action except it will allow the re use of ar specific optics in my opinion it is form over function. A rear locking bolt action magazine rifle with JP Lee's bolt and trigger geometry would shit on it any day for speed and accuracy.

As for a trigger disconnector on a pump action I would consider it a vital safety features without it slam fires or more likely miss fires would be commonplace. The use of a mass produced part from another rifle makes economic sense from a manufacturing perspective.
    The troy upper and lower are machined in such a fashion that about the only original bits would be the trgoer and magazines if you were to attempt to make it semi automatic.
    This is "pushing the antelope" to see how far they can go. Vexatious is a term that springs to mind.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 11-10-2019 at 04:18 PM.