Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Sauer Rifle

I'll just chuck in another piece of info which seems to get a lot of conflicting info online. Some say the Sauer 100 barrels are press fitted, so not really viable to re barrel, others say no the barrels are threaded and screwed into the action in the standard way. I took a wee peek down the front scope base mounting hole yesterday and what I see are barrel threads. So I can categorically say the Sauer 100's do have a threaded barrel.
    Kelton, Tech, JohnQT and 2 others like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    The first "gen" Sauer 100's were complete POS's, fucks me off that a company that make some beautiful well crafted rifles falls into the trap of making cheap shite, the 101 was ok but the 100 was terrible

I did a field test for ( the sadly now defunked ) NZ Guns n Hunting mag of a 100 in 7RM, this was the demo gun that had done a thousand miles through out the country, missing shit ( that I discovered later ) had a farken filthy barrel, then shot n feed like shit ( a bit of photo trickery & BS involved ) not really my thing

Hard to do an honest review when there's pressure to "keep the guys advertising in the mag" happy aye, then to put a spanner in the works there was a new importer / distributor taking over what was a shambles

In the end Nick & I decided to pull the article just before going to print, We both knew it was the right thing to do as I think the 2nd Gen 100's are alot better & Sauer sorted the gremlins & was under a new proper importer - agent.

NZGH_174_88p_Sauer 100XT_v01.pdf
    Last edited by Philipo; 13-07-2023 at 10:43 PM.
    Penguin likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I appriciate the flip side with the above real world experience iv recently eaten my words on browning xbolts whom iv deterred people from buying for years I now own the ssa wood blue .223 and love it, a sauers unlikly to end up in my safe how ever as im a stickler for action size appropriate to cartridges and find it a funny looking rifle my work mate has a 101 wood blue in .308 on layby that im eager to load for once in hand . Of all my reading accuracy and triggers were never faulted

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I appriciate the flip side with the above real world experience iv recently eaten my words on browning xbolts whom iv deterred people from buying for years I now own the ssa wood blue .223 and love it, a sauers unlikly to end up in my safe how ever as im a stickler for action size appropriate to cartridges and find it a funny looking rifle my work mate has a 101 wood blue in .308 on layby that im eager to load for once in hand . Of all my reading accuracy and triggers were never faulted
    Yeah. A M18 in .223 would be a big brute with the long action. They are Sauer 100 clones aren't they? @Philipo had one in .223 for a wee while I recall.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

They share alot of parts I believe . I think the 101 and the m12 were much of a muchness as well I could be wrong how ever

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah Bruce I had a M18 in 223, was a very nice rifle, the long action magazine in 223 was its Achilles heal, other than that it was a really nice "buget" rifle, had a great stock, action & trigger.

I'd happily own n carry one again, thats how to make a value / budget rifle. Mauser got it bang on with the M18
    Tahr and Kelton like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Interesting thread. I think since Sauer, Mauser and Blaser came under the Lüke & Ortmeier group commercial decisions rather than quality have played a key role.
    I bought my first Sauer 202 in 1991 from Hugh Bradley and was always impressed with the quality of build. ( actually went through the factory when it was Sauer and Son in Northern Germany back in the 1990’s.)
    I have since bought another 2 x 202’s in high grade. I also have several caliber barrels.
    I own an unfired Sauer 90 in 25.06 and Carl Gustaf 3000 ( using a Sauer 80/90 action.). All of these rifles are superb quality and in the case of the 90, innovative engineering.with its silky smooth bolt design.
    The reality is people ( large scale sales) will not spend 5 to 10k on a rifle. So the 100’s and 101’s are made to a price and quality point. It’s a sad reality but cost down trends are wide spread.
    For me the rifle that seems to fall under the radar is the Shultz and Larsen. I have several of these ( Legacy, Classic and Victory) and they retain their old school quality and heritage. All steel, cut rifled barrels and fantastic accuracy. And to boot a switch barrel system. They are priced well and in my opinion a worthy Danish rival to Sauer. My 2 cents worth.
    Kelton and littlemorepork like this.

For me the rifle that seems to fall under the radar is the Shultz and Larsen. I have several of these ( Legacy, Classic and Victory) and they retain their old school quality and heritage. All steel, cut rifled barrels and fantastic accuracy. And to boot a switch barrel system. They are priced well and in my opinion a worthy Danish rival to Sauer. My 2 cents worth.
    I don't possess the experience of Southcity's varied arsenal but can vouch for the quality of at least one S&L - I own a Legacy in .223 and now seek another S&L chambered in 6.5x55. The Legacy is light, action smooth and accurate (when I'm in form).
    Southcity likes this.

I'm not complaining about my Blaser R8 quality and never is my mate for that matter I must get it back off him lol

also 6.5x68mm