Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Savage Project

Its looking more and more like .243 and that suits me fine... Back on the 6th Oct and off for a blast on the 9th so it will be nice to get out and about with rifle in hand.

The 22-250 will take care of a few magpies and pop a few bunnies so we will asses the situation and see what happens.

Hmm... interestingly enough I was browsing the Savage Forum and came across a used (50 Rounds) 22-250 heavy barrel off a Factory Savage for $115 Well priced to say the least.. I kept browsing and realised that there were a heap of 223, 22-250 and 308 Barrels that were coming up at great prices. Some of them "Semi Custom" McGowans for $250 or so... A deal could be sorted with ease!

Made me think, I want a heavier pill... I'm keen on 80gr min loads for the "Heavy" so I really want a fast twist barrel, be it 22-250 or .243 but after Reading Gimps post again I though that a 22-250 loaded with 80Gr A-max pills would be a nice compromise and they'll flatten everything I'm after including Deer under 200yds (Not intended for Deer use though).

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Hmm... interestingly enough I was browsing the Savage Forum and came across a used (50 Rounds) 22-250 heavy barrel off a Factory Savage for $115 Well priced to say the least.. I kept browsing and realised that there were a heap of 223, 22-250 and 308 Barrels that were coming up at great prices. Some of them "Semi Custom" McGowans for $250 or so... A deal could be sorted with ease!

Made me think, I want a heavier pill... I'm keen on 80gr min loads for the "Heavy" so I really want a fast twist barrel, be it 22-250 or .243 but after Reading Gimps post again I though that a 22-250 loaded with 80Gr A-max pills would be a nice compromise and they'll flatten everything I'm after including Deer under 200yds (Not intended for Deer use though).
    great prices but try and get them out of the states.
    I've a home made action clamp for sale

A little excited today... Just picked up my bits and pieces..

I ordered some of this stuff about 4 months ago so to have them in my eager little hands is nice.

Just peeked through the Sightron out into the Harbour here in Long Beach CA and its a nice and clear.. only issue is the Haze that seems to linger here.

I shall post up pictures in a week or so when I'm back and thrown it together due to jet lag.

I have decided if I can find the parts.... to go to .300 wsm.

After some discussion I decided a dedicated long range pill is required so I'm skipping the .243 and heading directly to .300 wsm.

Should be an interesting build ... I'll wait until I burn this barrel up though.

Mean. That stock is nice. Best Choate stock I've seen for a while. Nice feel to it as well. (I live up the road)+1 on the 300wsm build, smash some plates good in proper.

Hard to beat for the money for sure...The grip is large though so it may require grinding down for some people... and I might install some flush cups when I get some time.

The Stuff I have read on the .300 wsm makes it a good option. Good stopping power and some nice BC pills... but I'll def have to start re-loading to make full use of its potential and make it worth the money.

Thinking of a "Light Varmint" Barrel... or Medium taper and if I can get a good lightweight stock then it can double as a slightly hefty Deer Rifle also with a simple change of Stock and Scope...

Thats quite a change

Good luck with the build
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Ok so I have had the chance to play with the Rifle this week.

No shooting as it was too windy and well, the Lambs would have objected.

Managed to have my first shot in 6 months with my trusty CZ 452 to quell the desire to throw lead in the air but I was very rusty to start with..

Anyhow, here is the Bolt after installing the "Bling".

Name:  IMG_20131012_105436.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  1.00 MBName:  IMG_20131012_105922.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  1,000.7 KBName:  IMG_20131012_105704.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  1.01 MB
    Toby likes this.

The old 'compensator' bolt handle I see...
    Toby likes this.

*coughs+ don't know what you mean....

Oh my !

Man if you ever get sticky bolt lift with that much leverage you will have a serious problem!:p
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

How do you find that shape of bolt on the hand, not too rough? My old Mod.12 204 had the factory oversize bolt handle which was nice to use, but smooth rather than chunky like yours.

Nah its all good. I like the big bolt handles that come with the varmint rigs. The one I had on the used 16 was too small for my liking. Wouldn't work with gloves and there will be less chance to slip with sweaty palms.

I used a texture paint on the one I had like yours and it was great. Offered a better grip option than the very smooth oversized knob.