Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Niceandfar

Thread: Which scope?

Which scope?

Hey team. Ive got two scopes and cant decide which one would he better for my 308 and 223. One is a Minox zx-5 3-15×56 and the other is a Vortex Viper 4-16×50. Both 30mm tubes. I do stretch the 308 out to 600m from time to time. 223 nothing past 200m.
    Which scope should i use on each rifle?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

for .223 out to 200 meters....used for what???? for game hares upwards you wont need more than 6x ....9x at most so you have way more top end than needed....which scope is heaviest and which rifle gets carried the most???? lightest on most carried..... but both are a lot of scope ....
    Bol Tackshin and dannyb like this.

Thanks for the input. 223 is for hares, wallabies and deer (pet food head shooting only) and 308 is for wallabies, deer, pigs and thar. Thar is what stretches it out. Think ill run the vortex on the 308 as has quick adjust turretsand a little lighter. Cheers

so you also have question which is better with the spotlight....... and deer for pet food????? shock horror.....lol

I think it will be the hares and wallabies head shot for pet food.
    Wallabies can be very smelly if you shoot them anywhere else. Like a possum, the chest is not much bigger than the head. Of course, a 223 will kill then real good with a lower body shot but they're no good even for your dog.

I think this is just a general interest discussion thread. The two scopes sound so similar there's nothing to choose.

DBL
    What reticle do you have in each scope? and are the both in the first focal plane?

Probably very subjective. I'm using a 6-18x50 Meopro that I leave set at 12 for head shooting hares (53 gr V-max .222) For me and my eyes that's about perfect especially with a bipod. It is a lot of scope and certainly adds to the weight but I'm not lugging it up hills. Perhaps the best light gathering optic put on the .223 for hares etc ?

Yeah im going to try the bigger scope on the 223, the Minox. Its heavier and you have to take off the turret caps to adjust clicks. Vortex has the turrets than you can adjust any time and weighs a bit less. Both scopes have the MOA windaye and elevation marks in the reticle. Very fine hairs. No idea what they are called. Vortex is illuminated.Really appreciate the feedback people cheers.
    bing likes this.