Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Scope Dilemma - Burris/Delta/Steiner - Thoughts and input welcomed

Scope Dilemma - Burris/Delta/Steiner - Thoughts and input welcomed

Just setting up my first hunting rifle (308) for bush/open spaces and looking at a variety of scopes, (preferably illuminated) for sub $1.5k and thus are considering either the Burris Signature HD 3-15 x 44, Delta Titanium 2.5 - 15 x 50 (or 56) and Steiner Predator 4 (imported from US) 2.5 - 10 x 42.

Had also looked at Leupold Vx5 HD (firedot) and Zeiss but may be a tad outside of the budget.

Anyway, from those who have undoubtedly used them all before, would be interested in getting some feedback and thoughts please as they all seem to have pros and cons with respect to Weight, Objective lens, tube size etc.

Additionally, would be good to get some insight also please on what would be the main factor affecting scope choice for hunting and field use.

thanks.

Save a bit more and get the Leupold my 2 cents, also worth considering swaro z3 or z5 however I don't think they are illuminated ?
    mikee, lau lau, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I'm with Danny, if you can save abit more and go the vx6 they pop up here for fair prices now and then I personally don't worry about illumination but that's me blimen good scipes
    dannyb likes this.

I would take a leupold over the Burris.
    But I mounted and shot a few of the same Burris you are talking about and its big sister and small sister and they work fine, and they have a good zero stop.
    It will be fine to take you up to the 500 to 600ish yrds mark where the 308 kind of reach its limits on game.

The biggest issue I had with the burris was purely the physical size of them the ocular bell on them is huge which could be an issue if trying to mount them low without the bolt fouling. Other than that I'm sure they are ok. What I will say is that the vx5 and vx6 are phenomenal in low light. Most places will let you laybuy, if you've got $1500 ypur more than half way there
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Iv got a Nikko Stirling Octa(not in yr reguest but a bit of free info for you) 2x16x50.illuminated red or green dot.Dials very accurate,takes my 308 out to 600yds moa.Nice glass and retical,30 tube.
    NZ life time warranty.Total cost $553.
    Its claimed 7 deer so far this summer out to 365yds.
    Tahr, Growlybear, 57jl and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I'm with Danny, if you can save abit more and go the vx6 they pop up here for fair prices now and then I personally don't worry about illumination but that's me blimen good scipes
    Edit I ment vx5 phone thought it knew best again
    SL600 likes this.

I would not get hung up on illuminated. Nice to have but a good scope dose not need to be illuminated.
    On the Burris I recently had the choice between the Burris Signature HD 3-15 illuminated & the Veracity 2-10 and went for the 2-10 but I'm not planning on shooting past 350mtr with that setup. Just look for a good dark crisp recital that will standout against a dark background.
    I have had a 2-8 scope with a gray look to the recital that was hard to use in poor light and illumination would have been helpfull in lowlight or for spotlighting. (22WMR).
    Z
    dannyb likes this.

Caretaker
    Leupold VX-5 HD
    Bill999, Shearer, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

if you could stretch your budget a little, Taihape sports had a VX-5HD 3-15X44 in duplex (non Illuminated) for $1800 in their shop window last Wednesday. Give them a call and see if they'll post to you
    06 388 1762
    7mmsaum, Puffin, quentin and 1 others like this.

Banned
    If shooting poor light, Zeiss will come out top in your price range. Swaro is better in poor light than Leupold VX5 & 6 and Delta Titanium 4 -24 illuminated is actually better than those three and is almost inside your price range.
    I would definately go with an illuminated dot as it makes the scope much faster to centre on target
    Woody and 57jl like this.

out of those 3 id get the delta but like everyone else will tell you get the vx5
    Moa Hunter, atis and SL600 like this.

Have you considered a Vixen illuminated scope? They have a good reputation but without the Leupold price tag.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Plus 1 for the Deltas. The Titanium range are excellent.
    Tahr and Moa Hunter like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Another option you could consider is one of the Meopta Meopro scopes, say the 2-10x42. A little heavier but the price is around $750, which is an absolute steal. The optical clarity is amazing and they are reported to be very reliable and robust. I am going to give one a try. Excellent value and the best bang for the buck out there IMHO. cheers