Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Scope Dilemma - Burris/Delta/Steiner - Thoughts and input welcomed

The Burris signature series had some good reviews on here but I say save and buy the Zeiss and then write us a review on it.

You won’t regret saving for a vx5hd either if you go that way but I rekon you boycot the swaros until they learn how to make proper turrets.

I find illumination really good in the bush for pigs etc but never seem to use it shooting at distance if that’s how you hunt.

The firedot feature on the Leupolds is fantastic. You don't have to turn it on or off (movement activates it), the batteries last for ages (I have replaced mine once in about 5 years) and are easy to change. Carrying a spare is a couple of grams extra weight. Also you can turn the intensity down so you don't know you have it on until it is put against something dark enough to need it. Wouldn't be without one now. There are also VX3HD models with illumination which are a bit cheaper than the VX5s.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

OK I shall tackle this from another angle......
    how much shooting have you done before????
    how far away can you CONSISTANTLY hit a 8" object???? about twice as far away as can consistantly hit a hare.
    if you answer ..well I can hit an icecream container out to 300 yards,but not further...well you dont need more than 9x top end
    if you intend to hunt in bush and tackle animals under 50 yards,you dont want more than 3x bottom end
    illumination is good..but its not the B all and end all.....
    a $500 scope $500 set of binos and 10x $50 worth of fuel for hunting trips would be a vastly better investment if you havent done a heck of a lot of hunting thus far.
    I agree with DannyB about the fat eye piece of Burris being pain in arse....
    leupold all the way for me....I own nothing higher grade than a vx111 and dont feel under scoped.
    I guess what Im trying to say,is spend your $$$ wisely....top $ items wont make up for lack of experience.....get the experience,work out what you ACTUALLY are going to need and THEN spend the extra coin.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The VX3 3.5-10x40 is probably the most "balanced" hunting scope to ever exist.
    - Reasonably priced
    - Enough magnification bottom and top end for most hunting applications
    - Enough clarity and brightness for most hunting applications
    - Lightweight, streamlined, and low profile turrets
    - Reliably holds zero
    - Leupold warranty, although I never had to use it

I've gone down the route with other fancy optics (similar price tag to the VX3) thinking that I will need the extra bells and whistles. But after using them in real hunting applications, I kept returning to the VX3 3.5-10x40, the others simply cannot compete against the pure functionality of the VX3.

If you have the time to wait for a 2nd hand one to pop up, that's an even better deal. The three that I have were bought between $400 to $425.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Out of the 4 scopes you shortlisted I've owned a VX5 and a Burris HD
    Still own the burris sold the vX5 , I guess they are horses for courses as I didn't like the physical size of the 30mm tube on the vx5
    I've also owned Ziess DL and conquest
    For nothing other than value for money I'd have a Burris, good zero stop ,good dials and illuminated.
    However I also own a 3x10 weaver super slam I bought second hand on here for $400 and for clarity I'm always blown away when I look through it. Best value scope I've ever owned.
    Backsteaks likes this.

This would be ideal for someone starting out and feeling their way. You can buy with confidence from this guy (Sarvo - ex member).

Nice German 3 post reticle and illuminated dot.

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/optics/p/geco-1-5-x-24i-p8r7k
    Puffin, Moa Hunter and 25/08 IMP like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

You owe it to yourself to look at Meopta

Truly hard to beat the value that you get in Meopta's line of scopes. In your budget there are a lot of options, byt as others have said, there is no substitue for trigger time. Take a look at Meopta's ZD/MeoTac line, great features and on sale right now. I have both. Also, The Optika5/6 line is tough to beat for its features and quality. I use the Optika5 4-20 Z Plus RD on my hunting .308. I dial in the drops using Strelok Pro and I'm good to go. My buddies and I have whacked 8 inch steel plates past 600 yards using the drops. Again, no substitute for practice. Anyway, Check out Meopta scopes.
    norsk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This would be ideal for someone starting out and feeling their way. You can buy with confidence from this guy (Sarvo - ex member).

Nice German 3 post reticle and illuminated dot.

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/optics/p/geco-1-5-x-24i-p8r7k
    Nice scope,good dead there.👍