Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Scope Recommendation

I think your limiting yourself by not considering the Swarovski Z3 range of scopes .
    Id be interested in knowing if anyone here has had issues with their Z3 scopes
    From the research I have done it seems that there was a few problems in the USA a few years ago , but I havent found any evidence of problems in OZ and NZ .
    I recently bought a Z3 3x9-36 and its a wonderful scope for the money .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

VX3i 4.5-14 is a good option. I had no issues with mine and shot at distance no worries. Swaro Z5 or VX5 3-15 are on another level though..

So with a stated maximum range of 350m the existing scope set on max magnification gives the equivalent open sights picture of about 40m. With a new 12 power scope that will improve to about 30m. My respectful suggestion is if he can not hit a 12 inch target with the current set up an extra ten metres is not going to help. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket I would spend it on more helicopter trips. Why on earth would anyone need a 12+ mag scope for the max range given?

https://www.tractoptics.com/products...3-12x42-t-plex
    Phone to order, do not do this online due to the expense of the default shipping method.

I've owned two Swaro Z3's (3-9x36). Both of them had tracking issues/problems with holding zero. It was a shame because they were otherwise light and aesthetically pleasing.

I've had good results with Swaro Z5/Z6.

I have had the Z5 and now run a VX6HD. Prefer the VX5 and VX6 to z5 in all respects. I have a Z3 4-12x50 on my 223 and absolutely love it. Great scope for the money and have not had any issues.
    Frodo likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Some good thoughts, thanks guys. To answer a few points raised:
    Capped turrets, not going to be dialing.
    Probably simple duplex reticle. Basic holdover type like leupold B&C also a possibility as long as not cluttered. Illumination maybe, but that would definitely require 30mm tube as far as I know.
    I know including 30mm tubes gives a whole world of options and he's not ruling it out - but unless he's missing out on a particularly great scope with this limitation it's another $200 he doesn't have to spend.
    Kahles, S&B, Zeiss (excluding Terra), Sightron options all seem to be 30mm tube.
    VX5 is parallax adjustable as well as 30mm tube - for those who have one do you manage to hunt with one set parallax setting or are you adjusting before every shot? How do you find the reduced focus depth vs a fixed parallax scope in practical use?
    when hunting I set mine to 100 that's what the ones you cant adjust are set to usually

So it looks like if sticking to good quality ~12x glass with 1" tube and fixed parallax, then it's probably limited to the Meopta, Swaro or Leupold VX3i options. I might have a yarn to him about updating to 30mm rings - its for a Voere Titan II which is not the most common rifle in the world but I believe it takes the same mounts as a small ring mauser, so there should be some options out there. Plenty for him to think about anyway.

The high mag thing just seems to be his preference - I haven't noticed him having any trouble smacking over deer with the 3-9x. He's not being talked into the need for more magnification either - of the 3 of us who normally hunt together he's already got the biggest scope (vs my 2.5-8x36 and a 1.5-6x42). But if he wants to upgrade from a VX1 for his main hunting rifle I can understand that, and if he prefers to shoot with high magnification so be it - he'll be the one paying for it and carrying it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.

Have you considered 2-8 Leupold with B&C reticule. Good basic scope with just enough and not too much magnification.
    However it does not have all the "twiddley" bits people seem to like now ie parallax and dial up knobs blah blah.
    northdude and Got-ya like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Have you considered 2-8 Leupold with B&C reticule. Good basic scope with just enough and not too much magnification.
    However it does not have all the "twiddley" bits people seem to like now ie parallax and dial up knobs blah blah.
    Not only have I considered it - that's what I run on my rifle (excluding the B&C - just the standard duplex). Works well for me, and the spiker I got on Saturday didn't seem to complain about my 'basic' scope choice either. However, it's not what my brother is looking for. Different strokes etc. etc.

if he wants to stay 1" tube the Nikon monarch range is worth a look. Similar to a vx3
    paralax adjustment come in on the 12 & 16 x and greater

Zeiss? I recently put the new V4 on my rifle. Fantastic scope 4-16*44.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Scope Recommendation

I have a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 for sale.
    Ticks all your boxes except no. parrelax. As others have mentioned the fixed scopes are normally to 100m (or yards) so no biggie.
    http://Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 20...4&share_type=t
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I like it when the OP closes out a thread rather than leaving all the contributors hanging, wondering what the result was. So FYI, I put all the options in front of him (including 30mm tubes - he did come around to the idea of replacing rings if he needed to) and he's ordered a Kahles Helia 3 4-12x44i with the illuminated '4-dot' reticle. Thanks to all those who made suggestions.