Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Scope recommendations

Using the following for pest control: https://55six.co.nz/product/athlon-t...ir-riflescope/

Specifically designed for low light shooting. Personally got it mainly for the reticle, however can confirm it works very well in low light. The reticle is nice and thick which works excellent in low light and it has the brightest illumination of all the scopes I trialed and tested, including top shelf expensive stuff.

Combined with the glass, thick reticle and really bright illumination it allows very quick game acquisition. Hence for pest control its awesome!

It's also got really broad parallax adjustment range which works well close in and further out, especially on smaller targets.

EDIT: Oh and due to the price, don't mind dinging it here and there getting in and out of a vehicle, climbing farm fences etc...

How is it for rabbits at 400m?
    Kiwi328 likes this.

Scope recommendations under $300

Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 1in Riflescope is one of the best scope you can purchase it under $300. It has waterproof and fog design.

Quote Originally Posted by andreson23 View Post
    Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 1in Riflescope is one of the best scope you can purchase it under $300. It has waterproof and fog design.
    In addition to Leupold, Mueller Optics 3-9 x 40mm Sport Dot Series Scope is also a good choice. If you want to get multi-coated optics and all-weather ready construction, go for it. For more information, this article may let you know about Mueller.

You say pest control, well all the ones I know are now thermal or at least night vision and for that sort of work you can for get your high end scopes as the glass blocks the IR and does not give the best outcome.
    There are a few that meet the requirements like Hawke, vector and so on which give good day time use and night time vision with a pard attached. Side parallax down to 10 ft and good x power options.
    Hikmicro thermal top end has a good reputation along with Infiray and guide although the price is better with hikmicro and of course, Pulsar in there top end, but bang for buck isn't them in their over priced units.
    I am a hunter and do a little paid pest control, I have no affiliation to any of these companies.
    I am a user have some thoughts on what I've suggested. The scope range is glass related as for starting around 3x or x4 with at least 50mm at the other end.
    The night vision forum UK does a lot of independent research and reviews and are a little a head in this field in my opinion.
    You tube benfromhuntthenight does reviews in Australia. He also sells the product. So not completely unbiased, but what he does is a fairly good appraisal. I don't know the guy, but I found him when I was doing the hard yards of research.
    You shouldn't need 400 yrds at night and if that's your bag you'll carry your own luggage and it could be costly.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

An old thread revived by a new member from Pakistan.

@schwen did you go ahead with this project and what did you choose ?
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    An old thread revived by a new member.
    This is happening really regularly.
    I call bullshit, user up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    An old thread revived by a new member from Pakistan.

@schwen did you go ahead with this project and what did you choose ?
    Yes I did. I bought a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 off this forum.
    Bagheera and Husky1600 like this.

Burris Signature HD 5-25 with the fine plex. Ballistic turrets to easily dial out and now if purchased through Signature dealer, a free custom turret once you sort your load
    Mathias likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    Burris Signature HD 5-25 with the fine plex. Ballistic turrets to easily dial out and now if purchased through Signature dealer, a free custom turret once you sort your load
    Yep, I have one. The fine duplex is very nice & the glass is good value for money & it dials well. I have it on my 223 with a reasonably heavy barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by schwen View Post
    Yes I did. I bought a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 off this forum.
    Great. Thats just the sort of scope I thought would suit. Perhaps not the most rugged heavily warrantied lightweight hunting scope but Good glass, probably a fine reticle and in keeping with the rifle.