Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Scope running out of elevation adjustment (Shooting too high)

Another trick is to put the scope objective on a mirror, and see if you can dial the crosshairs so you only see one set through the eyepiece (I.e. now optically centred). If you can, it’s the rifle / mounts more than likely. If not, scope internals are unhappy.

Won’t completely rule out a bent tube, but quick way to make sure the internals as ok. Can also use this as a rough box test without firing a shot...I.e 20,clicks each direction and see if it finishes in the middle again.

Hi team,

Thank you everyone for your advice so far.

Tikka:
    As recommended, I tried to run a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock, and got completely stuck at about 15cm from the forend, which is well away from the action. So this indicates there could be something stuck in there, as I know Tikka's should all be free floated. Will buy the right screw driver and take it apart tomorrow.

CZ:
    CZ452's aren't free floated, so I'll try the tricks everyone suggested and see what happens.

Will show the sub moa groups that I will eventually achieve
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Hi team,

Thank you everyone for your advice so far.

Tikka:
    As recommended, I tried to run a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock, and got completely stuck at about 15cm from the forend, which is well away from the action. So this indicates there could be something stuck in there, as I know Tikka's should all be free floated. Will buy the right screw driver and take it apart tomorrow.

CZ:
    CZ452's aren't free floated, so I'll try the tricks everyone suggested and see what happens.

Will show the sub moa groups that I will eventually achieve
    Synthetic stocked Tikka's should actually only be free floated to about 15cm in-front of the action - as you describe.
    Look closely and you will see two purposeful protrusions molded into the stock that contact the barrel at that point.
    Don't remove these or sand them down or whatever thinking it should be floating past there - it shouldn't.
    If its a new rifle don't go messing with it.
    jakewire likes this.

You sure you are turning the turrets the right way?..happened to me before with a kahles scope..
    You can also try to click the scope all the way to the bottom and count how many clicks it is, then wind back up until you have wound 1/2 of the distance in clicks;
    zero from there and I bet you will be able to get the rifle pretty much zeroed.
    ebf, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Greetings All,
    Have heard of Tikka T3 rifles shooting weird when the stock screws are over tightened. Only one of three rifles though.
    Grandpamac.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Check that your recoil lug is where it should be,
    Bill999 and Moa Hunter like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    ...click the scope all the way to the bottom...
    Scopes 101 isn't it, but perhaps non-intuitive; look into the scope, wind the knob, watch the reticle dropping, and then, er... why is the rifle now shooting high? Slightly concerning too that the 25cm at 25 metres is close to the ± 30 moa that Zimmer looked up for the elevation range? If the scope was wound out fully the other way then it would be expected to be around 70cm high at 25 metres, and Synthetic would know that the elevation dial was working as it should.
    Last edited by Puffin; 31-08-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

place rifle in vice of some sort and mark where cross hairs are...then wind them a long way in direction and have another look.... or borrow a boresighter/collimetre MOST shops will have one as they use them when fitting scope to new rifles....go buy box of factory ammo or something to pay for their time and ask for help (yes I know it man dent the manly pride but will save your sanity in long run)it will take 2 minutes to see /rule out scope and mount issue....only leaving rifle/barrel to be issue...if indeed there is issue and not something simple....