Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: scope suggestions for 22 mag

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Gun City are advertising a couple of versions of the vx3hd now....
    I just can't justify $1700 for a VX-3HD 4.5-14 with side focus.
    Go for a second-hand VX Freedom as many people do not seem to realize they are better than the Vari-x III, VX-1 & probably the VX-2.
    The VX Freedom (replaced VX-1 & VX-2),*and uses the old VX-2 glass but other components of the scope are VX-1 quality.
    4-12x s/h you can pick one up for around $350-$400, 3-9x for around s/h $300 (although one sold on TMe today for $250).
    Ftx325 likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

I’d put what ever I could beg , borrow or steal on it to start using it , but then I’d start saving up to “ buy once cry once” .
    A quality rifle deserves quality optics , in fact every rifle deserves quality optics
    veitnamcam and Ftx325 like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I’d put what ever I could beg , borrow or steal on it to start using it , but then I’d start saving up to “ buy once cry once” .
    A quality rifle deserves quality optics , in fact every rifle deserves quality optics
    I'll second that.
    Ive got a vx6 on a howa 223
    I should really take it off and put a smaller lighter 3-9 or something on there but I just cant bring myself to do it.
    Ftx325 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I know what you mean guys .
    Given the opportunity I would well overscope it...
    I have vx6hd and vx5hd on the 338 and 308 but had to sell everything I owned to pay for them , and I have run out of stuff to sell...and almost melted the c/card buying the 22 ....lol
    And if the old adage spend twice as much on the optics than the rifle then I guess it will have to be a schmidt and Bender or nothing.....
    born to hunt - forced to work

I’ve bought a few quality rifles and quality scopes over the years .
    I don’t own many of those rifles still , but I still have most of the scopes.
    Quality glass is “ still cool and usable “ long after the latest and greatest rifle has fallen from grace .
    Dama dama, Mangle and Ftx325 like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I am running three of these https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...R+Reticle.html

.22WMR
    .17HMR
    .177 springer

Highly recommended for the WMR which is now my go to rabbit gun if shooting rimfire.
    It's FFP so it doesn't matter what magnification you are on, the reticle is spot on to your drop tables, which does significantly increase your shooting range on the WMR.
    At 6x or greater the reticle is perfectly sized for hold over. Below that you use it like a duplex.
    In low light you dial in a low illumination of the reticle and you can shoot way easier than with a black reticle.
    After dark, crank it back to 4x, dial up the illumination, and under spotlight you have the perfect possum/rabbit spotlighting rig.
    Glass is excellent.
    They are built like tanks, so there are lighter options around, but for the money and the features I don't think you will find better.

PS. I did take Leupold and Vortex off (both good scopes) to fit these.
    Moa Hunter and Ftx325 like this.

That's certainly the sort of thing I would want but being a bit old skool I would prefer SFP with a BDC type reticle in moa rather than mils . And a 30 mm tube max.
    If they do one more along those lines I would be in. It has every other feature I would like definitely.
    I think either bushnell or burris do one that looks almost identical to that one . I have found a review by the ozzie review guy for them but haven't had a chance to watch it yet .

That's certainly the sort of thing I would want but being a bit old skool I would prefer SFP with a BDC type reticle in moa rather than mils . And a 30 mm tube max.
    If they do one more along those lines I would be in. It has every other feature I would like definitely.
    I think either bushnell or burris do one that looks almost identical to that one . I have found a review by the ozzie review guy for them but haven't had a chance to watch it yet .
    https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...12x40+HMD.html

Comes with .22WMR turrets for the 40gr

3-9x40 is ideal for a 22mag. I’ve had 3 different 3-9s on mine over the years as well as a fixed 6x and a 2.5-8. It’s a 150yd cartridge so a mid range scope is all you need. As others have said keep an eye out for a (genuine) 2nd hand leupy

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Actually my feeling is that glass gets outdated a lot faster than rifles.

Scopes got a lot better over the last 15 years, they now have better dailing range, better turrets, better click, better coating, and better zoom range. Mostly because China is now making good quality low mid range, Korea is making high mid end, and Japan is making high end.

On the otherhand my third most accurate 22lr gun is one made in 1965 in West Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Actually my feeling is that glass gets outdated a lot faster than rifles.

Scopes got a lot better over the last 15 years, they now have better dailing range, better turrets, better click, better coating, and better zoom range. Mostly because China is now making good quality low mid range, Korea is making high mid end, and Japan is making high end.

On the otherhand my third most accurate 22lr gun is one made in 1965 in West Germany.
    What scopes are being made in South Korea?
    I thought it went China (low mid), Philippines (high mid), Japan/USA/Germany/Austria (high)?
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    I think some new Bushnells are made in Korea.

Canada makes the highest.

in my mind the perfect scope would be 2-12 mag with a graduated drop reticule , as I will most likely be using several ammo weights/speeds and shooting up close possum (possible subs), medium distance goats ( heavy projectile) and longer range bunnies (light/medium weight) with good light gathering ... Aaannd zero stop , side focus , a built in laser range finder which automatically alters scope for range and projectile , gold plated turret covers and in-built beer fridge ... all for $50 .......
    Do I have a deal for you at $49.99! Comes with it's own 30 metre power cord with an adapter to extend, plus three stuffed possums for practice targets and four half full 750ml Waikato bottles. Could throw an opener in too. Reply soon, much interest.
    Ftx325 likes this.

You don't need anything too flash and expensive on a rimfire. For the ranges you will shoot you can light things up at night with a $20 torch. Look at some of the Nikko Airkings, Tasco world class, Burris, ... Get something in the 3-9, 4-12, 4-16 range. If you can't get a fixed focus rimfire scope (closer focus of 50m generally) get one with side or AO focus. Get something and get using it.
    timattalon likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have just found the VIXEN brand for sale by reloader supplies and I like the look of the V1 4-16 version they have advertised .
    Japanese made , side focus , bdc style reticle and the few reviews I can find on the brand are very positive on the glass clarity and brightness , including an older thread from the forum .
    Any one have any more up to date experience with these scopes ?
    HandH likes this.