Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Scope suggestions please

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Swaro Z5 or VX5HD

Swaro is 1" and lighter, 1" tube makes no difference. I own 2 of them and have compared a VX-6HD in last light. In my opinion the Swaro was better.
    I dont think 30mm tube passes more light than 1inch in any scope. The thing that affects amount of light passed is objective size. If one compares the 44mm version of Z5 against the 44mm version of VX5HD or VX6HD, the light passed should be the same.

Glass and coating makes a very small amount of difference to amount of light passed (they make a far bigger difference to colour accuracy, resolution and contrast) but generally speaking human eyes cannot detect that difference. From memory anything under 1/6 EV (about 17%) difference is not detectable.

The Leupolds offers a lot more adjustment range than the Z5. Both VX5HD and VX6HD offers 75 MOA elevation, while the Z5 offers 58 MOA. That is due to the tube size difference.
    chainsaw and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    I dont think 30mm tube passes more light than 1inch in any scope. The thing that affects amount of light passed is objective size. If one compares the 44mm version of Z5 against the 44mm version of VX5HD or VX6HD, the light passed should be the same.

Glass and coating makes a very small amount of difference to amount of light passed (they make a far bigger difference to colour accuracy, resolution and contrast) but generally speaking human eyes cannot detect that difference. From memory anything under 1/6 EV (about 17%) difference is not detectable.

The Leupolds offers a lot more adjustment range than the Z5. Both VX5HD and VX6HD offers 75 MOA elevation, while the Z5 offers 58 MOA. That is due to the tube size difference.
    one of the advantages of a 30mm tubed scope is more range in elevation. for long range shooting its a good thing
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    If it wasn't for your 30mm tube spec, I'd suggest a Z5 Swaro 3.5-18.
    The only issue with these is that the 1" tube slightly limits elevation range- with a 200 zero, the 13.75 available mins will get you out to ~750yds with the Rem Mag.

Believe me, the 1" tube does not limit brightness!
    I have a Z 5 on my 7mm Rem mag, it's a nice scope and works well. I know a guy who has a Z 6 30mm tube and optically you really can't tell the difference but the Z 6 is about $1000 more than the Z 5 which I paid $1990 new. As others have said you get more elevation out of the Z 6 but I find the Z 5 a good all rounder for the open tops and in the bush.
    hotsoup likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

The nightforce shv 5x20x56 is an outstanding optic and has the exposed elevation turret as well.
    Their mantra is rugged reliable and repeatable.
    I really rate mine.
    PM as might have one I can get at a good price

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    tikka likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

If you wanted to save some $$ you could look at the “old” Bushnell 6500 2.5 -16 x42. Capped turrets, but remove cap and you have a nice moa turret which can be reset to your zero. Probably pickup a very nice one these days for $700-800. The VX5 or 6 or Z5 as others have stated would be best options but price wise you’re into 1500 - 2k range
    nor-west likes this.

Well, I ended up buying a 3-12x Sig Sauer Tango4 and sighted the rifle in, I quickly realised the glass was pretty disappointing considering the price of the scope so ended up getting a 2-10 VX5HD CDS firedot off of BRADS which appears to be a far better scope, glass wise.

Lesson learnt, always listen to BRADS.
    199p, Beetroot and dannyb like this.