Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Scopes for long range shooting

if your budget is wide open then S&B or March would be my pick.
    BUT if this is going to be your go to huntn boomstick ..... then how many shots are you really going take beyond 600 yrd ? And i can guarantee while you are stumlbing thru the bush on the way to the tops u will sooner or later come across a target close up.
    I want a 3 or 4 x bottom end for those situations. 6x is a non starter for me in a hunting rifle.
    I have a couple of long range rigs in 300wsm and 7mmRM, & used/tried a number of scopes, some dial up & some with good ballistic reticles.
    eg 300wsm has Swaro 4-12x50 with BRH reticle that will get me close 900 yrds. Another option Swaro 3.5 - 18 x 44, but dial up is a bit limited getting you to ~800 yd max.
    The Vortex Viper 4-16x50 PST is a good budget choice if you want to save some $.
    As stated above the Vortex Razors are HUGE .... look like they'd work well on some field artilliary but I would not want to hump one around the hills myself.
    +1 for the Zeiss HD5's - superb optics, I have the 3-15x42 with Z600 reitcle on my 7x64. Wont get you much beyond 600 yd, but damn fine glass for money.
    You could also look at the Trijicon 5-20x50 , the tritium illumination is a really cool system. Dial up very soild (like NightForce but better optics) But you're now dealing with a 5x bottom end.
    (I have one of these in the cupboard so if u r interested let me know)...... u see I like the idea of your bottomless budget
    I've seen mixed reports on the VX6's, using one alongside some of the above i found optics are pretty damn good - close behind Swaros & Zeiss to my eyes. And way better than Nightforce.
    Personally I also like to get an illum reticle, but that might be just my old, tired eyes.

What ever u do make sure you go look thru the various scopes to see what suits your eyes.
    good luck

LJP
    I have a March 2.5-25x42 possibly for sale. Certainly fits for your application