Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: semi auto 243?

Cheers all new you lot would help me out. He just wants one for goats etc but wanted bigger than 223 and didn't want that military spec looking AR

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I have a genuine FN Belgium made Browning auto .243. These are better made than the current version and cost an arm and a leg when new. They were 50% more expensive to buy than a Sako bolt action.

Currently having the metalwork Milspec coated. Should have it back end of next week. Will let it go at a good price to a forum member.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    By good price, I mean $700.

I have had 3 of the remington semis a 742 bdl delux in 3006 the shot very well a 7400 in 243 and that was good to and a 7400 in 308 that was a jamamatic and did 5 inch groups at a hundred yards if you get a good one they are ok

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I have a genuine FN Belgium made Browning auto .243. These are better made than the current version and cost an arm and a leg when new. They were 50% more expensive to buy than a Sako bolt action.

Currently having the metalwork Milspec coated. Should have it back end of next week. Will let it go at a good price to a forum member.
    The current model shorttracs are still made at the FN factory in Belgium. It's the bolt actions that are made in Japan now.

If you are referring to your one being the older model, then you have a BAR not a Shorttrac which is a different rifle altogether. They are good and reliable too (I used to own one also) but very very heavy.

$700 is a good buy for a well looked after one too. I sold my old BAR for much more a few years back.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Thanks mate do you have a pic you could PM me

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The current model shorttracs are still made at the FN factory in Belgium. It's the bolt actions that are made in Japan now.

If you are referring to your one being the older model, then you have a BAR not a Shorttrac which is a different rifle altogether. They are good and reliable too (I used to own one also) but very very heavy.

$700 is a good buy for a well looked after one too. I sold my old BAR for much more a few years back.
    Yes, it's a BAR. I was referring to the latter ones which were made in Belgium but assembled in Portugal and had some minor differences in quality. I didn't make myself very clear. The BAR's are reasonably heavy but reliable.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    Thanks mate do you have a pic you could PM me
    If you mean me, then I haven't got a picture. I will provide one once the parts come back after Milspec coating and I've reassembled it.
    samba likes this.

I have one of those models and have no problems with it at all.

I have had a Rem 7400 in 308 and Browning shortrac in 243. Would take the browning everytime, hands down. It was a much better rifle in every way. Even carrying the 7400 was awkward.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.