Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: "Short-Pig" ideas - Short barrel 22rf semi-auto??

I would get a Gevarm if you can find one.

Fires from an open bolt (like a Stengun),to make safe you need only to pull the Mag out,it never chambers a round except when the bolt is in battery.
    I bought one and shortened it,put a red dot sight on it and would regularly hit running Hares with it.

Mine will be on the market later this year.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

res
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I would get a Gevarm if you can find one.

Fires from an open bolt (like a Stengun),to make safe you need only to pull the Mag out,it never chambers a round except when the bolt is in battery.
    I bought one and shortened it,put a red dot sight on it and would regularly hit running Hares with it.

Mine will be on the market later this year.

While Im a raving Gevarm fanboy, if the op doesnt think a 10/22 is up to the job acuracy wise then then a gevarm is probably out. If yours is a non takedown version I could be interested in it btw
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    While Im a raving Gevarm fanboy, if the op doesnt think a 10/22 is up to the job acuracy wise then then a gevarm is probably out. If yours is a non takedown version I could be interested in it btw
    I think they all take down Res.
    Some the barrel comes out of the receiver,others the barrel and action comes out of the stock by undoing a thumbscrew under the action.

Accuracy wise I have found it and another one to be very,very good.I might have been lucky?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

res
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I think they all take down Res.
    Some the barrel comes out of the receiver,others the barrel and action comes out of the stock by undoing a thumbscrew under the action.

Accuracy wise I have found it and another one to be very,very good.I might have been lucky?
    I have always refered to the ones that you can drop out of the stock as non takedown, thats the sort im looking for. I have found there acuracy to be usable but not anything to write home about-I have but it down to the long lock time inherent to the open bolt design along with the mass of the bolt moving
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Some time ago I scored a 10/22 with two mags on Tardme for $280, BUT I gave it to a guy just getting started hunting and he loves it to bits. I went and saw him today and "borrowed" it back (no indian giving) and immediately recalled why I'm not real fond of 10/22's. To me they feel "fat" in my hand, having carried "slim" rifles for 50 years or so . . .

I also scored a Marlin 925 from Tardme tonight so when that gets here I'll be able to do a bit of a comparison before deciding which to convert (I have an alternative 10/22 lined up, but its not $280 !!). There was an old Marlin model 60 parts gun (its the tube fed one, alas without a stock) in the cabinet so I hauled it out and it is a lot slimmer through the receiver than the 10/22 (26mm versus 32mm).

When I was 17 or 18 my uncle had the Gevarm that fired from the open bolt, it was a hard one to get to shoot accurately (how inherently accurate the rifle was I never found out).

Cheers
    res likes this.

Awesome let us know how you get on!!

To be honest I think a bolt action Marlin (like your 925) or Norinco JW-15A shortie, or a Marlin 795 for a semi, would be about the best options. Nice and slim and light and short are great from the truck for bunny busting. I like the Marlins, they are all no nonsense tools that get the job done and generally do what they should out of the box.
    Tommy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

come grab my kids ruger, you can take it for a run and tell me what you think, your not aloud to shoot your foot tho.
    Greg

go for the JW15shortybolt action with 9shot mag.Ive got one -cracker in the truck and dangles nicely when i do my john wayne walk.Its als bloody nasty on extended bipodas a bunny or two found out -
    hop fucker and ya drop pop....crash.