Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kimber 7mm-08

Thread: Sight ID and removal

Sight ID and removal

Got this with some knick-knacks the other day. Quite a neat little flip leaf sight. Best I can tell from wacking the verniers down the very worn barrel is about 315" so probably a 303 of some sort. Not big enough to be an 8mm.
    Big question is removal. It looks like it is sweated/soldered on but thought there may be a screw underneath the spring but after taking the sight blade out the spring is quite solid in there. Didnt want to wreck the spring trying to prise it out or heating it to get it off if there is indeed a screw in there.
    I could be a roughy and grind down the barrel stub whilst looking for a screw to start showing but that's a last resort.
    Cheers

Name:  20220222_130221.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  4.02 MB

It's a cut down Long Lee Enfield /Lee Metford rear sight base - still showing 200yds (the full length sight base will go up in 100 yd increments to 500yds or 600yds). The flip parts are not military. The screws on the sight bases are at the rear(possibly still present to the right of your picture) and the front (now missing). If it isn't obvious it's been cut off. Heat it up, melt the solder and you're good to go.
    csmiffy likes this.

Excellent. Ill have to look one up for a squiz. No obvious screws unless its under the spring as mentioned earlier.
    I shall have at it just have to make sure the spring doesn't get away on me
    Last edited by csmiffy; 22-02-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Hard to tell from the picture, but how is the leaf spring held in place? It looks like it is the original leaf spring that has been cut down to suit the reduced sight base. Any more pictures of the sight?

Well after you told me what it was I had to have a gecko.
    It does indeed look like one but with an aftermarket floppy bit.
    The sights that looked like it come from had a little step in the front but I reckon it has been ground down as on the pic zoomed in in great light you can just see the faint outline of the screw in the front. Probably.d9ne tonget the flippy sight to.work properly
    Still doesnt really tell me how the spring is retained unless its sweated in too especially considering that bit of solder to the lower left beside the spring and a white line of it on the right. Might have to be careful taking it off
    Be nice to know where the little flippy sight came from.

Name:  20220222_170722.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  3.53 MB
    Last edited by csmiffy; 22-02-2022 at 05:25 PM.

The spring is probably held by a dovetail. Check the end of the spring where it is cut off. The retaining screw is visible in your picture, but it has been filed flush.