Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: sks improvements

res
    Good ammo is probably the best thing to help accuracy.
    People seem to only feed them cheep shit ammo.
    Scottishkiwi likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    4 moa is ok for the performance of the cartridge. Buy ammo and shoot it, don't spend money on rubbish accessories.
    ill only spend money on things that ill actually improve it not make it gay
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ill only spend money on things that ill actually improve it not make it gay

Ah, so you'll be spending very little money indeed
    Steve123 likes this.

northdude
    yep its funny how such a crappy rifle in some peoples opinion has so many accessories available ill start buying a couple of things for it once I put a timney in my mauser the stuff im looking at buying is a stock a shell deflector and a some kind of rail to mount possibly the side mount as it wont move around at the moment all ive done to it is a bolt buffer

after thinking about an ar I had another thought why don't I just make do with what ive got so Im wanting to know if any one has built an accurate sks I like 7.62x39 my thoughts are to do a trigger job and a monte carlo stock but I will go to gun city and have a feel of both kinds of stock available for them im not expecting target rifle accuracy and im not trying to make it into a ak lookalike either iv read on some overseas forums that people are getting under moa all day long which I find really hard to believe as well mine currently shoots approx 4moa at the moment which is probably pretty good anyway but I like the challenge of trying to see if an average shooting rifle can be made better and it still will be quite a cheap rifle when its finished cheers
    yep but im going to make do with what ive got and ive already got plenty of rifles that will shoot rings around it and if I could get 1.5 moa I recon id be doing well and it wouldn't be near as much as an ar don't take that as bagging ars I don't have a problem with them
    yep its funny how such a crappy rifle in some peoples opinion has so many accessories available ill start buying a couple of things for it once I put a timney in my mauser the stuff im looking at buying is a stock a shell deflector and a some kind of rail to mount possibly the side mount as it wont move around at the moment all ive done to it is a bolt buffer
    Holy shit your posts are hard to read when there's no punctuation! I've recently fitted my SKS with an ATI Monte Carlo stock, scoutscopes.com optic mount and reflex sight.

Name:  SKS1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  759.8 KB
    Name:  SKS2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  236.0 KB
    Name:  SKS3.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  829.4 KB

Will be taking it for a bit of a walk over the long weekend.
    northdude likes this.

northdude
    been looking at sight options I might go for a tech sight on the rear I think 1.5 moa is really pushing it but you have to set goals so you have something to aim for one thing that probably limits the accuracy that I can see is how its held into the stock its kind of clamped in and floats around a bit

Any sight that is mounted to the receiver cover, or the gas tube will do nothing to help improve the accuracy of the SKS, due to the inherent play in those parts.

northdude
    the tech sight uses the rear receiver cover hole which goes through the receiver as well so it should be pretty stable how do you find the monte stock stretch did it fit straight in

The metalwork fitted straight into the Monte Carlo stock. The gas tube handguard was a different story. Had to use a centerpunch to take the metal end cap off the hand guard, trim the plastic a bit, refit the metal end cap and reinsert the bent and deformed pin.

northdude
    which pin was it that must be why you see some skss still with the wooden top wood still on them

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Ah, so you'll be spending very little money indeed

The lower is drilled and tapped on both sides but a van choate mount doesn't fit, till I find or make one that does the receiver cover one will do nicely.Name:  Olga.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  772.7 KB
    The extra 2 inches of pull the stock gave improved accuracy anyhow. Yep the wood is still on the gas tube but as I got the stock 3rd hand it had gone awol. Anyhow I think the wood is a nice touch.

My set up.. used shitty webcam to try take pics of it. But hopefully you get the idea. Works really well for me. P.S my shell deflector is taken off in the picture
    Name:  JOHNSPC - WIN_20150203_235647.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  97.0 KBName:  JOHNSPC - WIN_20150203_235818.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  87.3 KB
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

northdude
    those pics look good on your one s-k ive seen where they drill and tap the front of the mount you have under the roll pin to hold the mount better ive done the mauser trigger so im on to the sks now first im taking some of the creep out and smoothing it up

northdude
    Name:  P1040372.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  840.5 KBhere it is before ive done anything to it
    Scottishkiwi likes this.