Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Small bore double rifle.

That humming bird,double rifle sure is nice, problem with browsing, small bore double rifles, is one needs a lotto win, to afford the ones that really look nice. Sigh
    The Fair I-side hammer double SxS rifle, I just priced was $6300 cad, $1400 for an extra 28ga shot gun barrel, the barrels set for my current SxS Safari, are likely going to be 2800-3000 depending on exchange.
    I like a Merkel 141, but they twice the price,
    I've got a few nice bolt actions, cooper's, sakos, and Law etc, but start playing with doubles, (shotguns or rifles)and things get expensive real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    That humming bird,double rifle sure is nice, problem with browsing, small bore double rifles, is one needs a lotto win, to afford the ones that really look nice. Sigh
    The Fair I-side hammer double SxS rifle, I just priced was $6300 cad, $1400 for an extra 28ga shot gun barrel, the barrels set for my current SxS Safari, are likely going to be 2800-3000 depending on exchange.
    I like a Merkel 141, but they twice the price,
    I've got a few nice bolt actions, cooper's, sakos, and Law etc, but start playing with doubles, (shotguns or rifles)and things get expensive real quick.
    The miser in me wonders if you could cobble two shot out SMLEs together to make a twin barrel bolts action, somehow create a linkage between the bolts. With new rules you'd need to source two 5-round mags, or just pin two nice looking ones. With a scope centre mounted you'd be able to use the charger bridges to each magazine with the double setup. Then wrap a 3" oval pipe around the barrels to make a doubly offset overbarrel suppressor. Obviously not a 1kg project anymore... so call it the Condorrifle / Moarifle. We could arrange to have some mobs of goats infected with rabies to create some real dangerous NZ hunting situations... for which the newly formed device would be a perfect solution.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I think that’s take the theory of number 8 wire a bit far @Cordite but ten points for effort

One problem with your theory you fire one shot and want to reload? It ejects both rounds

One wonder how they solved that with your original post in this thread?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

cordite...you take the said same two SMLE barrels and put them in a lathe...turn them down till they fit neatly INSIDE your 12ga barrels with the rims of cartridges sitting inside the rims of what would be shotgun.... so non ejecting as such...unless you want to get all fancy and set it up right. its not that hard to do..a skilled man on the lath can take a bull barrel blank and turn it into a working insert ...may take an hour or twelve but awesome fun once its done.

given a blank .30 cal barrel doing same into either .30/30 or better still .307 and you be away laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I think that’s take the theory of number 8 wire a bit far @Cordite but ten points for effort
    One problem with your theory you fire one shot and want to reload? It ejects both rounds
    One wonder how they solved that with your original post in this thread?
    @Sideshow,

you just pull the bolts back slow and it won't throw unspent ammo into the bushes. It is really a non-problem - no worse than when you chamber a round and then decide against firing it and open the action again with a traditional bolt action.

@Micky Duck,

I like the shotgun conversion idea, just things may be getting a bit heavy. Maybe a barrel turned down in diameter, so that it only is firing-safe with the additional support of a surrounding SG barrel, i.e using a 16gauge s/s SG as a base. It could be contoured very close to the SG barrel profile, choke and all, but I'd not want to epoxy it in before I'd seen how the left and the right bullet impacts coincide.

Returning to my genius homemade twin bolt gun... if you built the gun from scratch using two Mauser type front locking actions (safely making the rear engineering non load bearing, and thus lighter) it opens the door to a potential extra desirable benefit from a twin bolt action:

If you interlace the left hander bolt on the left and the right hander bolt on the right --- each with a herringbone type cog towards the other (so that rotating one bolt clockwise will rotate the other counterclockwise) --- you will have in your sweaty hands... a permanently ambidextrous bolt action! But with two bolt handles, one on each side, so best for short action cases or you might lose your teeth. It would be a possibility to make either bolt handle removable, but why not have the flexibility to shoulder your gun either side?

The herringbone cog teeth will also resist relative movement back/forwards of either bolt against the other, adding strength in case of a main lug failure.

Gosh I'm clever... By the way, has anyone seen my Lithium capsules?

cordite...dont worry about weight...and if you are use a bigger hole in the middle...something say .45 cal......thats just about perfect in a .12ga
    Cordite likes this.

I had a double shotgun with .50 cal inserts in the barrels. Had to put 1/2 pound of lead in the stock to balance it! That made it extremely heavy
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I had a double shotgun with .50 cal inserts in the barrels. Had to put 1/2 pound of lead in the stock to balance it! That made it extremely heavy
    Take it it wasn't .50BMG - you would want every extra pound in such a gun! (-:

On barrel regulation side, how well did left and right impact points coincide with that setup?

Still recon that guy in Utu had the best gun what did he do strapped two double barrel shottys together
    Here ya go you want a bit of this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Still recon that guy in Utu had the best gun what did he do strapped two double barrel shottys together
    Here ya go you want a bit of this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ
    Was that 12 gauge or 10 gauge?

The idea keeps coming up, here is a review from Gun Jesus. This 20g one one was fired by a single/double action trigger, one striker presumably to save weight and to make the gun easier to open and close.

The Original Striker
    Cordite likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Name:  van_pelt.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  53.7 KB

(-:

@Cordite I have a feeling it was 10 gauge. Judging by the brass cases. But then again they did use to use brass cases for black powder loads.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Take it it wasn't .50BMG - you would want every extra pound in such a gun! (-:

On barrel regulation side, how well did left and right impact points coincide with that setup?
    It was smooth bored, I only fired shot through it and very cautiously! About twice!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough