Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Storing ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    With changes to to the arms act on the way, all the nay Sayers had better get ready for a different world, no problem here with locking ammo away, and safes compulsory ,had a discussion yesterday with a guy regarding A cat semi auto centre fires, he was convinced they would all be E cat, soon.
    The law is what is in place now, not what might be in the future, wish the priority was to catch the burglars not continual security upgrades.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman, R93 and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    That shit grinds my gears.

Obviously being able to read legislation is not a requirement to becoming an arms officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quite likely not even a firearms officer doing the check, such as in my case
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Does the ammo need to be in a separate room? When I got inspected to get my licence the vettor wanted this. I intend to grunt up the doors to where my safe is so makes sense to have the ammo in the same room but different safe.

Quote from the nice cop that came to my place for security check. On getting out of his car, his first words were;

`shit, I don't really need to see your gun security, as that driveway is enough to keep any one out`
    Obviously he was only half joking, and did the checks anyway, although he wasn't sure if he was required to take details of firearms or not. He was also very surprised when I opened the gun cabinet to show him the fixings, and it was actually empty. I pointed out that as I hadn't had a security check at this address, I was not yet allowed to have my toys on the premises, so they were stored in a mates safe.
    gadgetman, Munsey, mikee and 3 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Quote from the nice cop that came to my place for security check. On getting out of his car, his first words were;

`shit, I don't really need to see your gun security, as that driveway is enough to keep any one out`
    Obviously he was only half joking, and did the checks anyway, although he wasn't sure if he was required to take details of firearms or not. He was also very surprised when I opened the gun cabinet to show him the fixings, and it was actually empty. I pointed out that as I hadn't had a security check at this address, I was not yet allowed to have my toys on the premises, so they were stored in a mates safe.
    Thats not law I am sure Pengy.

Or else I have been breaking it for the 3 or so years...still havent been inspected.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad, Pengy and Jexla like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Thats not law I am sure Pengy.

Or else I have been breaking it for the 3 or so years...still havent been inspected.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    I was not 100% sure , so played safe anyway.
    199p likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I'm surprised you were even inspected by a constable? Because a dude in a black jersey with a sherif badge and a clipboard doesn't actually make you a cop.

I worked on the same floor as my arms officer when I had my first inspection and he was promptly told to get fucked when he tried to order me to split my bolts from my firearms.

Hawkes Bay seems to be much better with prompt timing to inspect after moving house and not sending me a hi viz jerkin wearing, illiterate hero.

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

sending me a hi viz jerkin wearing, illiterate hero.

Gold!
    Dougie likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    I'm also convinced that they'll legalize meth tomorrow. So it must be true! Glass barbecues for everyone!
    Legal or not it will still be around like illegal firearms, you may not like it but there is a greater chance of it happening than not ( and I don,t mean the meth), .
    You would be amazed at the number of quotes we do for replacement guns , left in garages, wardrobes, or clamped to the water cylinder with a bike lock, bolts and ammo put in a ammo tin in the garage on a shelf, we will not stop thefts, but we don,t have to make there life easy, most thefts are made by people with a alcohol or drug problem to get money to feed the habit, take a 40inch TV to a dealer you will get a couple of wraps, take them a firearm or ammo, your set for the month.

Legal or not it will still be around like illegal firearms, you may not like it but there is a greater chance of it happening than not ( and I don,t mean the meth), .
    You would be amazed at the number of quotes we do for replacement guns , left in garages, wardrobes, or clamped to the water cylinder with a bike lock, bolts and ammo put in a ammo tin in the garage on a shelf, we will not stop thefts, but we don,t have to make there life easy, most thefts are made by people with a alcohol or drug problem to get money to feed the habit, take a 40inch TV to a dealer you will get a couple of wraps, take them a firearm or ammo, your set for the month.
    You missed the point. Point was that regardless of what someone is "convinced" of. It doesn't mean it's going to come to pass.

Been in New Zealand for two years - has a intimate understanding of the underground drugs trade, along with an inside ear on what new legislation is going to pass. Good one mate.
    If you want more stringent firearms law, you should move to the UK. They have fantastic laws over there.
    Steve123 likes this.

I don,t want more stringent laws , just common sense used by gun owners, as to drugs , the problem is the same world over, with plenty of evidence to prove what I said, if you don,t bury your head in the sand, perhaps you should take note of your avatar which as you will know was the rebel flag of Missouri ( we fly one at our squirrel camp every year) it means don,t put unjust laws on us, we have the ability to use common sense.
    As to the UK I had no problems with the firearms laws, I had more guns there than I do here.
    Daggers_187 likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It's not illegal to store ammunition with a firearm as long as the firearm is not capable of being discharged.

Arms Regulations 1992

19 Conditions relating to security precautions

(1) Every firearms licence shall be subject to the following conditions:

(a) the holder shall not put a firearm in such a place that a young child has ready access to it:

(b) the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and ammunition for it in his or her possession, either—

(i) shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or

(ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

Obviously if you have a semi-auto, lever or pump then they will need a trigger lock or some part of the firing mechanism removed. In the situation of a bolt action rifle, removing the bolt and storing it somewhere secure would make that rifle incapable of being discharged provided there is not another bolt of the same model (different calibre) that is present.

There is no requirement by law to have the bolt removed from a firearm when it is secured without ammunition. However, you would run the risk of a thief finding the bolt. Your choice although the sensible thing to do, in all circumstances, would be to make it as difficult as possible for any thief to gain access to your firearms or ammunition.

The law regarding firearm security for A category firearms is long overdue for a revision IMHO. We need clear cut, black and white definitions, not something that is open to interpretation. While most licence holders take their security seriously there are some who are quite lackadaisical about it.

It's not just the inconvenience of having our firearms stolen, regarding insurance claims etc. It's also who will end up with the firearm. Whether that be a criminal intent on harming someone or that the stolen firearm may result in an unsupervised child gaining access to it and possibly hurting himself/herself or others.
    Steve123 likes this.

I don,t want more stringent laws , just common sense used by gun owners
    This. Common sense by gun owners.
    10-Ring likes this.

I'm surprised you were even inspected by a constable? Because a dude in a black jersey with a sherif badge and a clipboard doesn't actually make you a cop.

I worked on the same floor as my arms officer when I had my first inspection and he was promptly told to get fucked when he tried to order me to split my bolts from my firearms.

Hawkes Bay seems to be much better with prompt timing to inspect after moving house and not sending me a hi viz jerkin wearing, illiterate hero.

I'm in HB too, moved house about 2/3 months ago and he called me once to ask if he could come on a Sunday morning, told him that I'd be out at the range and he said no problem I'll call another time, but he's really busy so doesn't have much more time this or next week, haven't heard back from him after a month now.
    Time before that was about 4 months ago, the guy wanted to know where my A cat firearms were and what they were and who had them as I was only at that place temp, I only installed my E cat safe and left my A cat guns with a mate. I explained to him that those firearms were now legally under my mates supervision and he is responsible for them, not me.

EPA?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.