Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Suppressors with internal muzzle brake

Suppressors with internal muzzle brake

Hi team,

Just wondering if anyone knows any suppressors that come with internal muzzle breaks?
    Thinking of suppressing a 22in T3 6.5x55, would like to cut down noise and also recoil as much as possible to make long range precision shooting easier.

I know the new Hardys have internal muzzle breaks. Gunworks do too by the look of it.
    Had great experience with DPT on noise reduction and customer service, but unfortunately they don't come with internal muzzle breaks.
    Waitaki Engineering?
    Greystone?
    MAE? (Do they still exist?)

Any other suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdgBrbUJRk

No real advantage, but if it can be a feel good factor for some...
    gadgetman and shooternz like this.

Exactly my thinking. A muzzle brake works by porting blast in a direction that helps stabilize rifle , much the same principal as a jet engine , but in my mind having the brake in a tube that contains said blast without venting directly to atmosphere in required direction the blast/ jet engine effect is mitigated. That's the way I see it anyway.
    Had a gunworks suppressor on my factory 7m08 tikka and now have a dpt on my short barrel light weight tikka 308 and the 308 feels smoother to shoot to me with less kick at the shoulder .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Me and a mate both have 7mm rem mags, he has a gunworks maximus, I have a DPT mk11 with stainless blast baffle they both feel the same to shoot.
    The gunworks maximus is a little quieter but it is also twice as heavy
    shooternz likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Banned
    The US military has a patent on one that has side venting for the outer suppressor body

Sounds like you need a big MAE stainless suppressor, they are so heavy the barrel of a howitzer doesn't even jump!

Sonic? has that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.

Sounds like you are looking for a QD suppressor and a muzzle brake as an adapter? Oceania Defense QD suppressors might be a good choice.
    tikka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Sonic? has that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did like the sonic that my mate recently fitted to his howa last week
    seemed like a really well made suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdgBrbUJRk

No real advantage, but if it can be a feel good factor for some...
    Yes, it is a closed system, so there is little effect. The slowing/cooling gasses in the suppressor will have a little effect. The main reduction in recoil is due to the increased mass with the weight of the suppressor added to the rifle. A brake puts in an opposing force to that of the leaving projectile in order to reduce recoil.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

There is a really good American instagram/podcast called "the jay suituation" that's doing some real cool stuff suppressor wise if you want to dive deeper into this

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yes, it is a closed system, so there is little effect. The slowing/cooling gasses in the suppressor will have a little effect. The main reduction in recoil is due to the increased mass with the weight of the suppressor added to the rifle. A brake puts in an opposing force to that of the leaving projectile in order to reduce recoil.
    I would have said that the plates or internal baffling would have caught the blast as well and in doing so would double up like a brake , like a parachute , and slow or dampen the recoil . Blast pushes the rifle forward when caught in baffles - if you didn't screw it on it would shoot off the end as it catches the blast and is propelled forward. As it is screwed to the barrel it pushes the whole rifle forward to some extent and dampens the recoil effect.
    Thats the way I see it anyway.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I would have said that the plates or internal baffling would have caught the blast as well and in doing so would double up like a brake , like a parachute , and slow or dampen the recoil . Blast pushes the rifle forward when caught in baffles - if you didn't screw it on it would shoot off the end as it catches the blast and is propelled forward. As it is screwed to the barrel it pushes the whole rifle forward to some extent and dampens the recoil effect.
    Exactly. Old mate had a MAE suppressor on his Sako 75 3 hundy WM, the scope kept coming off the receiver dovetail on firing. So much was the recoil reversed, that the recoil setting dovetail on the Sako was ineffective. Ended up machining a notch into the side of the dovetail and a adding a claw and grubscrew to the mount.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    It is a closed system. Gases cannot escape the suppressor backwards. Recoil is a product of conservation of momentum. It will have a small effect as you described, because after hitting the baffle the gases move back and hit the previous baffle/rear of suppressor causing in increase in rearward thrust. The suppressor will slow the process a little as well as slowing the gas escape from the front of the suppressor.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

As gadget man says you can't escape physics the biggest influence on recoil from a supressor apart from the added weight is its slowing of the combustion gasses to subsonic or near subsonic speed this means that the recoil impulse instead of being short and sharp is extended over a longer period giving the perception of it being less.
    A good analogy is the difference in felt recoil between black and smokeless powder loads giving identical velocity. One is a push the other a whack.