Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Have you ever priced up Titanium tube???

Titanium is around twice as strong as aluminium, however its around twice as heavy also.
    So weight for weight there isnt much in it other than cost, which is huge.

Its also not the most pleasant to machine
    It's also a form of S/S But you know that, pain in the arse to work with but really easy to work. Full purge but welds like butter.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'll take a lower life that is still probably comparable to the life of my barrel to have a 200gram suppressor instead of a 600gram one, when it's hanging off the end of my hunting rifle.
    The MAB has done roughly 8000 rounds now, give or take a G, looks like shit on the end were it gets shot when it works it's way loose. But looks like new apart from that. Would I get rid of it? Not on your life! Heavy and throws the weight around, but then the boy at 12 can shoot offhand with it. Gimp however has been in Aussie a lot lately..........

i know a rabbiter that has put over 20000 rounds through his gunworks 233 suppressor without a problem. It had a strip down and clean at 16000.

Your failing to remember that fuck all people would put 1000 rounds through there rifle so does it matter?
    So people take a massive weight saving over over a 50000 round count because it is meaning less to worry about it.

If a gunworks supperssor fails after xxx rounds it will get replaced for free, thats free for the life of it.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Ejected
    True. I forget about that Gavin.

This is more the engineer in me coming out.

I saw on Thursday: Several suppressors from a popular manufacturer with various problems(as well as other manufacturers), some caused by poor QC, bi-metallic corrosion between uncoated aluminium and uncoated stainless internals seems to be a problem also. Example: suppressors with no holes in the baffles.

I also saw a very reasonably priced all-stainless muzzle can that weighs somewhere in the mid 300gms depending on configuration and is 150mm long and is very well designed and made by a single person who is an experienced and qualified precision machinist.

He also makes overbarrel if you prefer that, they are obviously significantly heavier.

I will have 2 of his .22lr suppressors to test sometime in the next week or so.

I saw on Thursday: Several suppressors from a popular manufacturer with various problems(as well as other manufacturers), some caused by poor QC, bi-metallic corrosion between uncoated aluminium and uncoated stainless internals seems to be a problem also. Example: suppressors with no holes in the baffles.

I also saw a very reasonably priced all-stainless muzzle can that weighs somewhere in the mid 300gms depending on configuration and is 150mm long and is very well designed and made by a single person who is an experienced and qualified precision machinist.

He also makes overbarrel if you prefer that, they are obviously significantly heavier.

I will have 2 of his .22lr suppressors to test sometime in the next week or so.
    Is this for center fires? more info needed please
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Yep share the love...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Yep share the love...
    answer your phone then (I guess you were away in the weekend)

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post

Yep. No more info at this stage really. Will have .22lr ones this weekend or early next week hopefully to test, will post some photos etc

answer your phone then (I guess you were away in the weekend)
    Yeah sorry. Back now, away again on Monday...

Ejected
    When do you start at Mt Ida?

Wirehunt, what university did you get your engineering degree from ? Which part of a suppressor work hardens during normal use ? Why do you think aeroplanes and space ships are built from alloys ?

I should add that I only have one suppressor and it is actually stainless so I'm not biased either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    When do you start at Mt Ida?
    Done one trip, came back yesterday through Naseby...