Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Tape

Yes, definitely. Once clipped a branch on my way out (had shot a deer so didn’t bother re-taping) and was shocked to find a large splinter jammed in the barrel when I cleaned it at home.

In my experience it makes no meaningful POI difference shooting through tape vs not.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yep, if you don't tape the barrel up the ball rolls out the end when ya lower the rifle
    The only time it "helped" was when I was walking out along a track a while back with my 6.5mm Mauser. Was walking holding the rifle in 1 hand level with the ground when I slipped on a root and let the rifle go as it did a perfect arc and stuck in the mud like a javelin. laughed my nuts off at how ridiculous the whole scene was, but if that was the walk in and no tape, I would have had a plug of mud in the end of the barrel which would have been hard to get out without a cleaning rod
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Always did when I didn't run a suppressor. Saved a plugged barrel ( mud) a couple of times. I'd tape the suppressor too if the hardy didn't have so many holes in front. Probably not quite so critical with sup.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Yep always have a piece of tape on end of suppressor if bush hunting. Spare tape wrapped around it if needed. Haven't had a problem without it but now it's just a habit. Interestingly I've found a new piece of tape completely blows off if fired but an old piece that's been on for a while will have a nice hole in it. Pretty sure it doesnt affect accuracy as the tapes blown off by gases well before bullet comes into contact.

In the tape club when walking through bush and when rifles strapped to the pack to prevent twigs,rain and dirt. Don’t worry so much in the open areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting subject, which reminded me of a 1945 D Day invasion of France scenario.

The Yanks had always decried the "Limeys" as they were prone to call them because of a habit of bunking down and brewing up tea when a serious problem developed. However, they were utterly lost when they became aware that the British troops were being issued with condoms for use during the seaborn invasion and subsequent beach landings....That sex was a possibility during the hell fire to follow was beyond the comprehension of the Yanks.

However, when they saw that on D Day the condoms were applied to the"BANG" end of the Lee Enfield, they finally saw the light.

Nearly always tape muzzle or suppressor to keep crap out, have always just shot through it too. A piece of tape doesn't bother the mighty .270
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I always tape a plain barrel. Haven't bothered with a suppressor. Just use masking tape and never take it off before shooting. Don't usually get time in the bush.
    I do worry about water getting trapped in the barrel via the breech in wet conditions. In savage wet conditions I will sometimes close the bolt on a fired case to seal the breech end.
    NZ Hunter adventures/the Duleys thought that worked too on one epic mission on wet coast,untill they ejected case and heap of water fell out...... I carry muzzle down when its persisting down...
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Taped my barrel for years and shot with the tape still on. Don’t worry now with the suppressor

Yes, tape end of bare barrel or, end of suppressor. I also frequently check the bore as in super wet conditions it can get past the bolt etc

MB
    Dot sticker on suppressor. Tactical black.
    Phil_H likes this.

not for short walk hunts or when close to the car.
    Yes if doing a walk in or overnight, or lots of Bush bashing, or raining etc.
    Been thinking about that water getting into the breech end more so recently after a few particularly wet walks and looking at the puddle of water sitting between the bolt head and breech.
    Will need to start to carry an empty case with primer in for this.
    Z

There's a rifle sitting in the window on display at sports Shop in The Anau, barrel had blown up on it, from memory the story behind it was that it was fired after some time in the Fiordland bush and had moisture/rain in the barrel. I always tape mine, cheap insurance and doesn't affect poi
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yes I tape barrel and suppressor, even with subsonic loads no accuracy issues. I have had a bullet tumble and deflect off course and ricochet off a tree from a twig inside my 223 suppressor, it only chipped the iodising off the end cap hole, a good lesson to be learned. I’ve also got a couple of mate the plugged there barrels with mud from a fall, bulging 6” and 8” at the muzzle. Both were cheap Remingtons so no great loss.

northdude
    Ok so more than i thought