Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Titanium bolt handles - Kimber rifles

Titanium bolt handles - Kimber rifles

I'm trying to drop some weight from my two Kimber Montana rifles (so far managed to find a aluminium trigger guard to replace my old stainless steel one in my 84M) and I've come across these titanium bolt handles in the US. Getting some specs from the manufacturer of them at present regarding respective weights and will be placing an order soon. They appear to be in the 13 gram to 22 gram range (TBC). Looks to be simple weight loss option I reckon.

Name:  handles.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  85.8 KB

You could 3D print your trigger guard to save more weight.
    Name:  IMG_20191009_102845.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  4.33 MB
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I did the same to my tikka . Felt the weight of the titanium versions in the shop and thought , oooh , those are light .
    Bought one , took it home , whipped out the stainless version and was actually surprised at how light that was . Not a vast difference as I has expected .
    So you will save weight but may not be a huge amount in the big picture .
    Have you weighed the original to see how much difference it would be ?
    rugerman and Gkp like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Have you weighed the original to see how much difference it would be ?
    Good question: 38g for 84m bolt handle compared to 13g for Titanium. As for the 8400 bolt handle I haven't weighed that yet, however as they are more chunky than the 84M profile I expect the weight saving to be greater there.

In the grand scheme of things, not really talking about massive gains, but then when does rational thinking apply to firearms?
    199p, Cordite, Gkp and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Now - just to chuck it into the picture have you had a good look at the current stainless one with a view to giving it a haircut and a diet? You might find that you can get the stainless one easily down to sub 25g and not have to go to the hassle of importing a Ti version. Other option is a graphite or carbon fibre version and go lighter again if you really want to explore that particular rabbit hole.
    Good suggestion. I looked into it briefly, but would have to engage someone/gunsmith to do it then re-finish them and the costs and time involved started to mount up. Also, I can still use my rifles while the part is imported but if it gets put on a gunsmith waiting list my rifle would be out of action for however long it takes to complete. Getting a import permit shouldn't be an issue (famous last words?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Of course, you could just take a round out of the magazine too.
    Too cheap and sensible there my friend, but I like your thinking! Already run three rounds instead of five on the 84M. As for the 8400 I run it at three rounds instead of four.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Good question: 38g for 84m bolt handle compared to 13g for Titanium. As for the 8400 bolt handle I haven't weighed that yet, however as they are more chunky than the 84M profile I expect the weight saving to be greater there.

In the grand scheme of things, not really talking about massive gains, but then when does rational thinking apply to firearms?
    so a teaspoon of water then in weight , minus the teaspoon...
    Micky Duck likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I too have a 8400, mine in 7mmWSM, if you pm me some costs i will likely be interested and sharing some freight costs,
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

Buy an old 303 and go hunting with that for a few years like we did! Or How about "IF" you need too!!!! Go on a diet Like I did @ 90kg 20 years ago and loose 10kg.... It's the most healthy option, relatively easy to do, combined with getting fitter. Your stainless bolts weight will be nothing compared to what your personal Tare weight improvements will achieve.. Another ++ being is you can carry more meat out of the bush for the freezer. Oh and the Misses will want more Jiggly jig Win win win.......
    Micky Duck, Cordite and wayno like this.

I have a titanium trigger guard on one of my montana thats miles lighter than the old stainless one
    looks cool too and "fits" with the idea of the rifle
    i wont bother with my other montanas as now im of the opinion that they are too light and I shoot better/faster with a little extra weight which I add on in the suppressor/30mm scope and weighty leather sling
    when Im climbing big hills and doing decent Km walks Ill take the the OD Titanium suppressor just to make my self feel better

snip their barrels back and then you start to see some real weight changes

while we are talking Kimbers If anyone has a take off barrel in 260/creed/308/338fed that they want to part with let me know
    I have a 223 barrel and will have a 243 one once I have a suitable replacement

Its a great rabbit hole to go down in,

Cost will never be worth the weight savings but its in the interest of being able to do it that's the key and very enjoyable
    Chicken, Mathias, Ftx325 and 1 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Its a great rabbit hole to go down in,

Cost will never be worth the weight savings but its in the interest of being able to do it that's the key and very enjoyable
    Pretty much my thinking. I know it does not make financial sense and the $$$/weight savings don't add up, but as I don't have many vices to spend my money on then why not. Would be a boring world if we are stuck with our purchases and not able to tailor/tweak them a bit.
    199p and hotsoup like this.

Is it just a threaded handle? Whats the thread? Could easily make one
    Micky Duck likes this.

yes it is a threaded handle. 1/4" x 28 UNF.

For those interested, the 8400 bolt handle that looks most similar to the Mountain Ascent type weighs approximately 18 grams.
    Last edited by Kimber 7mm-08; 03-06-2021 at 03:04 PM.

How many dollars per gram does that equate to mate?
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.
    Just...say...the...word