Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By vulcannz
  • 2 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By vulcannz
  • 1 Post By Fssprecision
  • 1 Post By Coop

Thread: unknown .22 pump action

unknown .22 pump action

hey all i was given this .22 when i got my license from my grandfather who asked for me one day to get it fixed and working the way it did when he use to use it shooting. one of my problems is that i do not know what model or brand it actually is.Name:  20220528_163157.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  5.48 MBName:  20221008_121650.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  2.27 MB

does anyone know what it is as i thought it was a model 12 Remington but has parts of the gun look different. if anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated

I think that's an FN Browning takedown pump action 22 - made about 1922-74. Often referred to as the Browning Trombone.

Some else may confirm and give you info on it. Collector's item for sure..
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I think that's an FN Browning takedown pump action 22 - made about 1922-74. Often referred to as the Browning Trombone.

Some else may confirm and give you info on it. Collector's item for sure..
    cheers for the information and i did a bit more research and turns out it is a trombone so thanks for the help.

Just a heads up the tube magazine capacity is "listed" at 11 rounds (I could never get 11 into mine to be honest), which means it falls into the naughty gun category with the police - unless you get the mag modified.
    6x47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Just a heads up the tube magazine capacity is "listed" at 11 rounds (I could never get 11 into mine to be honest), which means it falls into the naughty gun category with the police - unless you get the mag modified.
    That's because it's made for .22 Long, same case as .22LR but a shorter bullet. You can either limit the case capacity or change the calibre stamp on the gun to .22LongR. It anyway won't take more than ten .22LR.
    mudgripz and Moa Hunter like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    No - its chambered in 22 LR - the 22 L is European nomenclature for Long Rifle at the time . I would remove the magazine inner and store it completely separate to the rifle - if it isnt installed then the magazine capacity for the rifle is zero.
    In reality nobody knows there is sucg a thing as .22 Long so yes, popo will check mag capacity with .22LR, that is, if they bother to.

We had a similar discussion a while back.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Mag capacity I'd for the longest cartridge it can fire/ chambered for
    3" magnum shotguns for example. Magazine capacity of for the 3 " shells notbthe 2-3/4
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    In reality nobody knows there is sucg a thing as .22 Long so yes, popo will check mag capacity with .22LR, that is, if they bother to.

We had a similar discussion a while back.
    The official Browning manual lists the capacity as 15 short, 12 long, and 11 long rifle (you can find it on the Browning Europe website, here: https://se.browning.eu/services/owne...MBONE%2022.pdf )
    ZG47 likes this.

So just to clear this up I was one of the Gunsmiths involved with the tube mag mods and did over 400 guns and I remember having to modify these Brownings.

The test is to remove the inner tube and keep adding rounds until you can't clip the inner tube shut. It is NOT a case of just loading through the aperture in the outer tube.

If you can get more than ten rounds in and clip it shut it is classed as Prohibited ! and the Police are still checking, particularly at renewal times etc.

Please feel free to PM me if you need to.
    jakewire likes this.

These will almost certainly hold more than 10 22LR unmodified. I've seen my fair share of them also and they take 11-12 22LR piece of cake.
    6x47 likes this.

Yep, it’s a browning trombone. Cool guns, real smooth to use, and feel real petite and light. looks like it’s missing the big screw on the action that can be undone and make it into a takedown.