Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: vx5hd vx vx6hd

vx5hd vx vx6hd

Weight wise I think you are right but I am not a big fan of large scopes and I found the VX5 and 6 bigger than they need to be. The 25mm Swarovski has decent glass and will piss over anything up to where you may feel confident shooting given field time and safety consideration.
    I’m looking for a Z5 soon to top a new rifle.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting7mm View Post
    Have considered the z5 3-18x44 as that is in the same price bracket but moved away as it's only a 25mm tube?

Reason why I'm not sure on the vx5hd 3-15x44 is only the 15x zoom compared the the vx6's 18. And only being 44mm lens is it lacking somewhat for those longer shots? I'm not worried about weight therefore going to a 50 or 56mm lens isnt a worry in that perspective.

Everyone has different reasons for wanting different things.
    Yeah its only 25mm tube That doesnt bother me. It limits the amount of adjustment tho compared to the VX5. With the zero lock turret you are limited to two full turns anyway ~38 moa i think. Im waiting on getting my hands on a Z5 to see how their turret works.

15x zoom should be more than enough magnification for deer sized animals as far away as you can accurately shoot to kill one.
    A larger objective lens will (theoretically) give you better light gathering in low light conditions but I doubt if it would be significant enough to make a difference in normal hunting situations. Firedot will.
    Danny likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting7mm View Post
    Have considered the z5 3-18x44 as that is in the same price bracket but moved away as it's only a 25mm tube?

Reason why I'm not sure on the vx5hd 3-15x44 is only the 15x zoom compared the the vx6's 18. And only being 44mm lens is it lacking somewhat for those longer shots? I'm not worried about weight therefore going to a 50 or 56mm lens isnt a worry in that perspective.

I wouldnt call 44mm lacking for longer shots we get to caught up in shit now days i did just as well at 500yrds with a 16" .308 with a 3-9x40 vx2 on it moving foward from that i had a 5-25x50 hd5 25mm tube which was still capable of 900odd yrds with one turn which only ever got used on 18 max shoots from 40yrds to 1100yds then a 4.5-18x44 lrhs bushnell thats 30mm tube which im now selling in place of a hd5 due to the fact i dont think I need 18 power and illumination etc. But that is my preference i find the high magnifications straining on my eyes see if you can look threw a few at different ranges etc any of your mates have either?
    Danny and Nugget connaisseur like this.

The front objective diameter effects how much light the scope will “pull” rather than effecting how far you can shoot

Glass wise vx5/6 and z5 are all bloody good. They all have their pros and cons. For me the zl2 turret by leupold is better than anything the z5 offers. I personally think value for money the vx5 is hard to beat. I think 15x zoom is plenty and if you miss a shot chances are there are other factors that affected shot placement more so than the zoom ie wind. You wont be underscoped with either.

I have a VX-5HD Firedot Plex. I think the Firedot is worth the extra money although admittedly I didn't care about it when I was looking to buy the scope. When I got it in hand though I loved it.

As far as holdovers e.g winplex and all the other reticles - I don't really see the point with a SFP hunting scope as it only works at one magnification so limits their use?

The one feature I would love my VX-5HD to have that the VX-6HD has is the windage ZL2 Locking turret but I just can't justify the massive price difference on that alone.

I've used a heap of Weaver scopes over the years, excellent scope for the money. And as I got older I listened to a wise mate of mine and now have a few Kahles, excellent scopes, full stop. But about 18 months ago I had the opportunity to buy a VX5 3-15x44, windplex. Put it on a custom rifle I had been building for a few years. For me the VX5 is exceptional value for a top of the line scope, I cant afford a VX6. It is clear, excellent eye releif, great in low light, suits my rifle nicely for size, not too big. And realistically all the hunting I do with it I dont even dial, can shoot a deer out to 300-350 by sighting in 3" high @ 100, just like we have done for years. Am hoping to buy a VX5 2-10 non dial scope for another hunting rifle I am putting together, more than enough scope for this old hunter.
    mikee, Mathias, 30late and 2 others like this.

I have been looking at optics for a .30/06 build in progress. Looking at the 2-10 VX5. Was on the vortex site and see a new high end dedicated hunting scope Razor HD Lht. Is is very close in specs and price to the 3-15x44 VX.

Any real world experience out there with this scope?

Personally I prefer the 44 mm objective to a 50 as you can often go to a lower mount and may not need a stock pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I have been looking at optics for a .30/06 build in progress. Looking at the 2-10 VX5. Was on the vortex site and see a new high end dedicated hunting scope Razor HD Lht. Is is very close in specs and price to the 3-15x44 VX.

Any real world experience out there with this scope?

Personally I prefer the 44 mm objective to a 50 as you can often go to a lower mount and may not need a stock pack.
    No real world from me but eager to here if its glass is better being a hunting scope always a precise scope but poor glass i thought