Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: WE LOST

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Wow that made me go straight out and check !
    I'm only just legal on one rifle by 10mm
    Yep. It seems police goal was just a fuck you to license holders. It has no effect on criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Yep. It seems police goal was just a fuck you to license holders. It has no effect on criminals.
    As usual....
    outlander likes this.

Yet another example of Police making statements that foolish people believe. The written law is the Holy Grail, anything else that emanates from the mouths of public servants is just the sound of flapping gums, usually backed up by prejudice and ignorance! Our laws are not hard to understand. It is a legal requirement that they mean what they say in plain English. Bureaucratic interpretations are just meaningless hot air, and should always be treated as such. I am surprised that sound legal minds allowed this to get to Court.
    Ryan, northdude, shooternz and 1 others like this.

A friend whose son hunts pigs with dogs bought me his boys bail gun as it wouldnt fire. Its a izzy 18mh, so for it to not work something had to be seriously wrong. It was full of silt, cleaned it got it going and thought thats short. I knew the barrel had been shortened when he got it and the foresight refitted but to make it shorter he had cut the stock back too. Overall length 740mm.
    I mentioned the length thing but was told that all his mates guns are the same or shorter. So before returning it I added a spacer and pad on the butt to give a proper length of pull and its now 770 long.
    There will obviously be a lot of firearms that are under that 762 mm in circulation many owned by fal holders who are probably unaware of the length restriction as they do not own a mssa, and that could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I'd say yes if you took it out of the same room as the stock
    @223nut, not correct at all… the cops will make you pay for your "mistake" as they did to the dude who had a 30 rounds magazine stored separated and for a already endorsed gun (that he is license to have but not at the time) and the cops caught him as he was in possession of a item that can be used on an "E" cat gun…
    I hope it give you some light...

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    @223nut, not correct at all… the cops will make you pay for your "mistake" as they did to the dude who had a 30 rounds magazine stored separated and for a already endorsed gun (that he is license to have but not at the time) and the cops caught him as he was in possession of a item that can be used on an "E" cat gun…
    I hope it give you some light...
    Doesn't worry me personally as I only have a cat rifles and no endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Doesn't worry me personally as I only have a cat rifles and no endorsements.

"BUT", just for example, if you have a Ruger precision rifle and an AR10 the Ruger magazines are 10 rounds (from factory) and they will fit your AR10. So, even though you DONT USE it on your AR10 "A CAT" if the police check "you" and see it/find it they can and "will" make your life miserable as it is "interchangeable"…
    Remember, it is just an example… It can be applied to ar15 too as their magazines can be exchanged with other bolt action rifles with similar bottom piece and magazine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Yes it's going to cause all sorts of headaches. I think the decision has been made by someone without a full enough understanding of firearms and it needs to be appealed
    Surely if the judge made their decision without a full enough understanding of firearms, then that's the fault of the lawyers taking the case to court and their expert witnesses?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Isn't it silly. I had a minor panic but nah she's all good and besides which I have a B endorsement.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Isn't it silly. I had a minor panic but nah she's all good and besides which I have a B endorsement.
    Rushy, but if your "short rifle" isn't on your "B" endorsed license you still illegal...
    Kiwi Greg and Steve123 like this.

MSSAs effected by the ruling and unable to be modified to be over 762mm will become restricted C Cat firearms, as they aren’t approved pistols, even if you have the B pistol endorsement.
    shooternz likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Rushy, but if your "short rifle" isn't on your "B" endorsed license you still illegal...
    The point is moot because the AR is over length but surely a person in my circumstances with a now under length AR could just switch it over in the Police records and everything should be cool bananas.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

res
    The point is moot because the AR is over length but surely a person in my circumstances with a now under length AR could just switch it over in the Police records and everything should be cool bananas.
    we can only hope, for most people pnz would have to get on board
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    A gun which can shoot and is below 762mm length is a pistol. Waste of money and court time?
    Exactly....
    As disappointed as everyone is this ruling should be no shock to anyone. The law is there for everyone to read, plain and simple Arms act 1983 "pistol means any firearm that is designed or adapted to be held and fired with 1 hand; and includes any firearm that is less than 762 millimetres in length" No mention of anything with a folding stock, min or max lengths...Just because police had a policy doesn't make it law...
    The police do not make rulings on the law, and their view is not legal advice. Courts set the rulings on how the law is to be applied.

People are very quick to challenge a policy when it removes privileges from us but not many people decided to seek their own legal advice or put their own interpretation on it.
    Savage1, Dublin and Oli1102 like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    not many people decided to seek their own legal advice or put their own interpretation on it.
    not as clear cut as you make it if you look at past rulings around length, and people did get legal advice
    Using Tapatalk