Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: What’s your rig?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Now now, Gentlemen...
    You just take her out Frodo and give her a cuddle for me and all will be right with the world.
    Frodo likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Tikka .308 Win with Zeiss 3-12x50 in a DPT chassis, DPT suppressor and a Waters 6-shot ali mag.

8.8lb all up (I think) which is about right for a rifle shooting a 165gr load.

Name:  20190209_143228.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  861.2 KB

Took it out yesterday to shoot the new Speer 165gr Boat-Tail load. Took 14 rounds to achieve an acceptable outcome. This is a 0-400m load, so 0.57MOA should do the trick.

Name:  20190209_144331.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  840.2 KB
    Last edited by Flyblown; 09-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    dogmatix, 57jl, winaa and 2 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Love them Walters mags, I should have gotten two.

I had to take the file to this one to get it to fit the DPT chassis, @jakewire. No way was it gonna be the other way round. Fitted the factory stock ok but tight.

Perfect fit now. Got a bit of fail safe built in, in that you can't accidentally catch the mag release and drop it out. You need to properly take it out. I like that, having hunted with a mate who lost his Tikka mag 2 days into a 5 day hunt...
    Just...say...the...word

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    It would be way better if you shortened it and put a DPT suppresor on it and carbon fibre or chassis stock, fluted bolt and Burris Eliminator scope
    you forgot the stock pack and stick camo tape all over it
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I had to take the file to this one to get it to fit the DPT chassis, @jakewire. No way was it gonna be the other way round. Fitted the factory stock ok but tight.

Perfect fit now. Got a bit of fail safe built in, in that you can't accidentally catch the mag release and drop it out. You need to properly take it out. I like that, having hunted with a mate who lost his Tikka mag 2 days into a 5 day hunt...
    I was a little concerned as it took so long to get here but it eventually turned up
    I wanted it for the T3X 1-8 twist 223 , put it together with a little graphite in the mag and damned if it doesn't work well , fits perfectly in that stock, hence the wish that I had of bought 2

Name:  received_1996149147099514.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  26.9 KB

My semi custom 284win.
    Although I haven't sold my 300win yet I've got this ticking along.

Rem 700 Stainless action(long action)
    Rem model 7(I believe) barrel that was a 7-08 reamed to 284win.
    B + C stock.
    Leupold VX 3 4.5-14 B+C with CDS.
    DPT on the end.

Just working loads up now and then put some serious range time in for May.

If looks could kill!
    jakewire and stagstalker like this.

Banned
    Name:  husky.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  1.96 MBName:  parker hale.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  1.91 MBName:  ruger.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  1.95 MBName:  winny.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  1.64 MBName:  loads.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  827.9 KB
    here are my rigs and loads.
    Top to bottom husky 640 8 x 57, parker hale 350rem mag, Ruger mk2 260rem and winny 70 FN 308
    Loads
    350RM. 225gr bt 2750
    8 x 57. 170gr sst 2850
    260rem 140gr eldm 2700
    308. 165 speer btsp 2700
    dogmatix, Frodo and Flyblown like this.

@stevodog, how do you find the .308 Speet Boat Tail SP's on game?
    I've just bought 200 and did the load development as per the picture above. So they shoot very well and I am looking forward to trying them on deer in a couple of weeks. What kind of terminal performance have you experienced with them, and at what ranges?
    Just...say...the...word

Name:  seafoodNZ_images_sfp_rig.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  10.7 KB

Rig, come with chips. about $2 per fillet
    7mm Rem Mag and Max Headroom like this.

Banned
    Hi Flyblown, just started to use them, haven't shot anything yet...they are cheap and shot good though aye...I only have access to a 100m range which hampers me somewhat...Do you find the BC on these to be realistic?
    Hoping to put one through an animal next month

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Hi Flyblown, just started to use them, haven't shot anything yet...they are cheap and shot good though aye...I only have access to a 100m range which hampers me somewhat...Do you find the BC on these to be realistic?
    Hoping to put one through an animal next month
    Also haven't shot them past 100 m yet. Only got them on Thursday last. Hav got the 300m, 400m, 500m drop test set out in the paddocks, just waiting for the wind to behave. It's really annoying at the moment, one minute its east, the next it's west, and it's blustery. On the subject of BC - the quoted number of 0.520 seems too high to me, for the design. An earlier version of this very same bullet with the same part number had a quoted BC of 0.477, so how it's managed to grow its BC is a mystery to me... however when I did a ballistics model to work out the maximum point blank range, I put both BCs in and it basically makes fuck all difference out to 400 m. I am going to use the 0.477 value.

Either way I will be using the Strelock Pro trajectory validation to adjust the muzzle velocity to match the drops data. I find this is easier than fiddling with BC. Once I've done this all of my rifles have been bang on out to whatever their maximum effective range is. For this load with the Speer I'm thinking 400 m is about right, which is a function of the Zeiss #6 plex reticle I am using. I want this .308 and 165 grain Speer to be a point and press MPBR type load, no cocking about with drops and dialling.
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    Cool man, good to know...I will put in .477 as well which is closer to other similar bullets.
    Jelous of the range...we are deprived in Orkland for accessible longer ranges.
    I have a self imposed limit of 300m as I've only an idea of bullet velocity and POI.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    nothing wrong with the old military rifles stood the test of time just not a fashion piece that's all
    She's dealt with a handful of goats and pigs. Yet to shoot a deer with fraulein.

My go to hunting rifle- Bergara B14 in 7mm rem mag with Swarovski Z5 scope and hardy suppressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    superdiver, Frodo and dannyb like this.