Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What sort of accuracy are you getting from a factory Rem700 barrel???

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Agreed, and I'll probably get shot down for this but,one of the worst factory calibers I've seen for not shooting well out of the box in a variety of rifles is 7mm 08. sure most will shoot ok with factory ammo ,but that's it, and yes there are exceptions, though I've yet to come across one. Contrarily I have seen so many 308's, etc shoot alot better.
    This is only an opinion based on what I've seen and used over the years.

Im no gun guru or even a gun slut, The only two 700 708s iv I have had the missfortune of playing with wouldnt shoot any better than 4MOA with 5 different brands of factory ammo(associates brand new rifles)
    Im sure this is the exception not the rule.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

SPS tactical in .223 at 100m. Standard everything except Boyds stock and MAE overbarrel.
    Hornady .223 steel case training ammo. White circles are 22mm.
    Left target the 3 clustered are me and the other two are my mate having a go. 1st 5 shots of the day cold barrel.
    2nd target are those 50gr Federal frags which are a bit inconsistent. Won't even hit A4 in 1:12 twist barrels.

I'd be really disappointed if any gun these days wouldn't do under an inch at 100m.
    Even a bog standard .22LR can do that on $45 per 500 rounds cost ammo. Check out the 2nd picture, CZ452 using CCI STDs, that's with a 2 click adjustment between the 2 groups and it was windy left to right so....

Last edited by Snala; 30-06-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Actually my 7mm08 doesn't shoot all that well either.

I had Abe bed it, re crown, and put a ton of bedding compound in the stock, and it shoots ~2 MOA with factory federal.

Im sure with some reloading ill get it under MOA, but the barrel might not be super awesome.

~2 MOA is fine for its purpose, practice and out to 500m, but the factory ammo is only for bush or short range work anyway.

Wouldn't mind a 260 AI barrel and Senator on it though....

Chris

Alan, those steel case look to be awesome in that rem, my Howa was only 2 MOA with them, but man, why reload when it shoots like that!

They also do the same loads in a identical looking box with brass cases, and no lacquer on them, so way better for hot barrels,

Chris

Cheers Chris. I have a box of them too I bought at field days last year before the steels came out. But since we don't reload and the steels are about 67 cents each that's all we use a lot of now. Have used a few of those superformance rounds too which do give a bit more up at more range but really we have the clicks on the 55grs sorted now so it's more around our shooting than anything else. All this .223 though of course. Sounds like the bigger cals a bit more picky. That worked 700 you had at Easter I wouldn't kick out of bed though

well barrel is cleaned. About 3hrs worth of work using hoppes for the carbon and boretech eliminator for the copper. Just constantly rotating wet patches, scrubbing, dry patches of each until I can't see any copper fouling and the patches stopped showing any blue.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Might be pressure point issues or bedding rather

Yeah Alan, those are still the only rounds I've shot out of that rem. 20 rounds through the same hole means nothing at 50 yards though hahaha.

Bring the sps and a hundred steel case rounds next year. We seem to always get blocks that are a bit flighty.

Ditto on the bedding or pressure points, I assumed as the thread was asking about a barrel that these had already been addressed

Chris

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snala View Post

Name:  9487560.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  81.6 KB
    sneeze, veitnamcam and crnkin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    well barrel is cleaned. About 3hrs worth of work using hoppes for the carbon and boretech eliminator for the copper. Just constantly rotating wet patches, scrubbing, dry patches of each until I can't see any copper fouling and the patches stopped showing any blue.
    As bob said could be stock issues also but if it took 3 hours to get the barrel clean it must have had some serious copper build up!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Doing what only spider pig can.
    Spanners likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    As bob said could be stock issues also but if it took 3 hours to get the barrel clean it must have had some serious copper build up!
    leaving it 10mins at a time to soak in the eliminator sucks up time. But yeah prob 10 rotations at least of repeated wet patches, scrub, leave, wipe etc. It seems 20rds and she's pretty fouled up. Is that normal with Rem barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    leaving it 10mins at a time to soak in the eliminator sucks up time. But yeah prob 10 rotations at least of repeated wet patches, scrub, leave, wipe etc. It seems 20rds and she's pretty fouled up. Is that normal with Rem barrels.
    Now you have got it clean do the one shot clean one shot clean at least 10 times, Id be surprised if it didnt improve. At the very least after this it shouldnt foul as bad.

This is all new to me. I never owned a centrefire until I moved to NZ. What method / material to do this?

I'll have to find time on a range to do that. Bit hard on a public day when everyone is chomping at the bit for their time to shoot.