Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Who's Taking their 9.3 Mauser For the Roar?

Hi all
    This thread has just pushed me to decide to take my Husky 9.3x57 in on our annual roar trip to the Kawekas in April. It is still open sights and will use for bush hunting and splitting firewood. I will also have the 284 Win as well for the more open areas. Will report back the results, I once waited for 20 odd minutes to get three goats lined up at about 40m, and the bullet (286 Lapua) went through all three and displaced a respectable divot, the goats all got wobbly and fell over within a few metres. This would most likely be unethical to some. but saved on projectiles and provided a conclusion to a scientific experiment about the properties of the projectile.

Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    jakewire, john m, Mooseman and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Hi all
    This thread has just pushed me to decide to take my Husky 9.3x57 in on our annual roar trip to the Kawekas in April. It is still open sights and will use for bush hunting and splitting firewood. I will also have the 284 Win as well for the more open areas. Will report back the results, I once waited for 20 odd minutes to get three goats lined up at about 40m, and the bullet (286 Lapua) went through all three and displaced a respectable divot, the goats all got wobbly and fell over within a few metres. This would most likely be unethical to some. but saved on projectiles and provided a conclusion to a scientific experiment about the properties of the projectile.

Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    Good man!

Just for reference, because theres not as much around about the 9.3x62 as other cartridges, this is what I have found: (all chronographed with tested and accurate chrony) in a Husqvarna model 1640 with a 24 inch barrel.

286 grain PPU - at the muzzle:

67 grains 2209 = 2405 fps
    57.5 grains 2206H = 2381 fps
    57.5 grains IMR4320 = 2232 fps
    48.0 grains 2207 = 2216 fps

All are max loads (Over max for the 2206 load), but I consider it a 60Kpsi cartridge, unlike the books which hold it lower.

All of them except for the 2207 load generate stout recoil. Actually to be honest it kicks like a draft horse. She hits you like heartache. She kicks like you owe her money. She kicks like something out of a fucking fairy tale.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 09-03-2022 at 07:33 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    Just for reference, because theres not as much around about the 9.3x62 as other cartridges, this is what I have found: (all chronographed with tested and accurate chrony) in a Husqvarna model 1640 with a 24 inch barrel.

57.5 grains 2206H = 2381 fpskkkkk

All are max loads (Over max for the 2206 load), but I consider it a 60Kpsi cartridge, unlike the books which hold it lower.

All of them except for the 2207 load generate stout recoil. Actually to be honest it kicks like a draft horse. She hits you like heartache. She kicks like you owe her money. She kicks like something out of a fucking fairy tale.
    Bit like my 300 Rum and 338 Win Mag, they like to give you a good jolt.

Hi all

Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    rumour has it...back in bad old days they lined up prisoners and did same with .45/70 !!!!!! goats are minor sin by comparison...best I did was two headshot with single 30/30 round while leaning on top of dog kennel....close dog tucker doesnt come easier than that.
    Ruger7mm likes this.

In my 9.3x62 57gr 2208 and a 286gr prvi have 2283fps.
    Ruger7mm and JohnDuxbury like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    In my 9.3x62 57gr 2208 and a 286gr prvi have 2283fps.
    Stug I have seen you Mauser Obendorf on old posts here and there, and much admire it. Did you get any stories of its life in Rhodesia?

Not a huge amount. @Tentman knows more of the stories he bought it from the Rhodesian owners.

Hi all
    This has got me all keen, so I had a look in the projectile locker and found some Speer 270 Hotcor which I forgot I had so I think they might perform better on a super sneaky sika than the Lapua 286. Do any of you guys use the Speer 260 and if so any good loads you would like to share. I use 2208 with the Lapua, however have a good selection of powders if there are other recipes out there. I read an american thread that was saying they could shoot moose out to 300 yards with a 9.3x57 and the Speer 260, not sure I am that good with open sights, although I was pretty good with mortars in the army and managed to regularly hit the old water tanks that were targets. Look forward to your advice and will post a pic of the Husky soon. Cheers Ruger7mm
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post

57.5 grains 2206H = 2381 fps

What brass are you using for the 2209 , I have to long drop to get 65.3 in and 286gr hornady loaded on top is pretty crunchy and I often seat twice. Oal 3.27 but I use .37 comparator at 2.627/8
    I'd like to use 2208 but currently don't have enough to run another calibre with it , should have more coming before long hopefully.
    I'm using Lapua brass
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    What brass are you using for the 2209 , I have to long drop to get 65.3 in and 286gr hornady loaded on top is pretty crunchy and I often seat twice. Oal 3.27 but I use .37 comparator at 2.627/8
    I'd like to use 2208 but currently don't have enough to run another calibre with it , should have more coming before long hopefully.
    I'm using Lapua brass

I am using Graf's brass, which is PPU made. SO you could buy some factory from Gunworks, and it would be the same brass.

I can get 67 grains of 2209 in if I trickle it in, it comes up to halfway up the case neck. Bit more than that maybe. I am not afraid of standing on a load compression-wise, the only thing is if the bullet stays put overnight. (Some people think theres something "wrong" with heavily compressed loads, but often compressed loads will be more accurate. Sometimes anyway.)

I have tried two different bullets with the 2209 load, the Norma Oryx 285g and the Prvi PArtisan 286 grain. The difference between them is the PPU bullet is a proper round nose, so it has a bit shorter over all length compared to the Oryx which is more pointed.
    Because the Hornady 286 grain is a proper spitzer, so will be a longer bullet, so you're doing more compressing than me, and I think I am loading them seated out more than you too.

I can seat round nose bullets out to 3.360 and still get them in the magazine of the rifle (Cant find the lands in this rifle, and still fit into the magazine.) With spitzer bullets like the 250 Accubond, I can seat them out to 3.380 and still feed - the sharper point doesn't hang up in the mag. I would expect your rifle will be the same?

Anyway, with the 286 g PPU bullet, I crushed the powder down and seat them to 3.360 all in one go, no need to be delicate about it, and the bullet stays where I put it. I measured it a few times at night and then in the morning and all good. I did the same thing and the Oryx bullets (which had a bit more compression remember because they are a little bit longer) they all grew overnight by .008 at least. I still shot them for a test, but will not use them with that load.

I have tried 2208 with 57.5g and a 286 grain bullet and also 60.5 grains with the 250 Accubond and it shot particularly well with the last, but I ran out of 2208 before I could chronograph anything, and have none left.

Out of interest, for extra brass I have run the experiment of turning .30/06 LC69 military into 9.3x62, loading it with AP70N and some Semolina and tissue paper to fire form them (have to shoot them straight up mind) Then I full length size the cases as normal.
    They seem to be the same size internally as PPU (at least the 2209 load comes up to the same place in the neck) and the thickness of the brass at the case mouth is exactly the same as the Graf/PPU brass as well. (I thought it might get thicker. It does not.)
    .30/06 military is supposedly thicker and less capacity than normal factory .30/06, so may be different if I used some of the commercial .30/06 brass I have here. I used the military because it doesnt say .30/06 on the headstamp, which I thought would be, well, better.) At least I know I can make 9.3x62 very easily if I want to.

I am turning in to a 9.3 junkie. Havn't had this much fun reloading a cartridge for ages.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 13-03-2022 at 03:39 PM.
    jakewire and john m like this.

@Ruger7mm Check out his old thread https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....8/index17.html post number #247 has some pics of sectioned projectiles. The speer 270HC has one of the thinner jackets.

Hi Stug
    Thanks for that, will provide some good reading I am sure. Just checked the serial number and my shooter was born in 1932, so an old girl with heaps of life left in her. Just can't wait for our trip into sika country only 31 sleeps to go. Will keep you posted, I think I'll use 2206H as there are a few loads for H4895 that are close, and see what happens.
    Cheers Ruger7mm
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hi all, for those interested in mature rifles, this one is 90 years old this year. Name:  20220314_173519.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  3.42 MB
    jakewire, stug, Spudattack and 7 others like this.

Hi all
    This has got me all keen, so I had a look in the projectile locker and found some Speer 270 Hotcor which I forgot I had so I think they might perform better on a super sneaky sika than the Lapua 286. Do any of you guys use the Speer 260 and if so any good loads you would like to share. I use 2208 with the Lapua, however have a good selection of powders if there are other recipes out there. I read an american thread that was saying they could shoot moose out to 300 yards with a 9.3x57 and the Speer 260, not sure I am that good with open sights, although I was pretty good with mortars in the army and managed to regularly hit the old water tanks that were targets. Look forward to your advice and will post a pic of the Husky soon. Cheers Ruger7mm
    Greetings @Ruger7mm,
    I had a look through my banana box filing system for Handloader and in No 125 Jan Feb 1987 and found an article by Dieter Sturm. He regarded 46 grains of IMR4895 with the Speer 270 grain as a good hunting load. This chronographed 2,145 fps in his Model 146 with a 24 3/4 inch barrel. This is likely similar to factory loads and may even shoot close to the sights. AR2206H would be close to IMR4895 and a little slower than AR2208.
    Regards Grandpamac.