Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Worth repairing this scope?

Worth repairing this scope?

It's a vintage burris zoomable scope 2x-7x x32?
    Looks low profile and probably well suited to a lee enfield.
    Never seen a zoomable scope in this size before, the eyepiece is actually larger than the front.
    Looks like its rectile has moved, I think this is a common thing to happen with scopes if they have been subject to shock?
    Basically it's moved around and looks like an X instead of pointing vertically.
    I'm not sure of it's age, but its a quality brand, but have no idea if it was an expensive model but vintage scopes are being sought after and cosmetically its I'm good order.
    Not sure who anyone recommends to send for repairs.Name:  20230706_131505.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  3.24 MB

Those old Burris scopes were bloody good scopes. Definitely worth getting it fixed.........but where? or who? I dont think theres anybody left in NZ that is doing scope repairs, might have to go through the NZ Burris agent and send it away.
    dannyb likes this.

when yo usay reticle has moved.......some of the older scopes did that.....if mounted in wonky mounts you could end up with Xhairs sitting at 3 oclock and 3/4 of way across to egde of your circle of view....maybe try winding the adjustment right the way to left then all the way to right and half way back again...do same up n down then have another look..... with luck ,if Im right...it will put Xhair back in centre of picture..... nothing to loose.
    Old_School likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    when yo usay reticle has moved.......some of the older scopes did that.....if mounted in wonky mounts you could end up with Xhairs sitting at 3 oclock and 3/4 of way across to egde of your circle of view....maybe try winding the adjustment right the way to left then all the way to right and half way back again...do same up n down then have another look..... with luck ,if Im right...it will put Xhair back in centre of picture..... nothing to loose.
    Ok, I will give that a go. No harm in trying. It only owes me $20, i got it at a gun show from a whole box of things to choose from, also got a good 7x fixed redfield.
    Doesn't surprise me if some of the scopes on offer had issues, but for that price it was still worth grabbing.
    I'm a bit spoilt for choice now and have a good selection of scopes, I'm just in lack of rifles to install them onto!

AND a X orintated Xhair is a GOOD thing for bush shooting...its a right bitch to sight in untill you get your head around it..but it works really well as MOST trees are upright so the X really stands out in poor light and in centres the eye nicely. I confess didnt read your origonal post corectly but scope may be ok still.... if it holds zero.... and doesnt fog ....I wouldnt hesitate to use it.
    Old_School likes this.

Bos
    Richard Wilhelm (Wilhelm Arms and Optics) in Chch used to repair bino's and scopes but he's retired now. He might know where to send you though
    Old_School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    AND a X orintated Xhair is a GOOD thing for bush shooting...its a right bitch to sight in untill you get your head around it..but it works really well as MOST trees are upright so the X really stands out in poor light and in centres the eye nicely. I confess didnt read your origonal post corectly but scope may be ok still.... if it holds zero.... and doesnt fog ....I wouldnt hesitate to use it.
    Wow, didn't think it was normal to see a scope oriented in this way, would this potentially have been modded to be used like this?
    Your right, I bet it would be a bitch to sight in like this.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It might be early ‘80’s vintage. Got one here somewhere still useable. Got a 2-7 mini version from same era, steel scope, currently on a bergara b13? Still good as gold. All Burris scopes are image moving, not reticle moving as far as I know. From memory Don Burris, scope designer, left Leupold to start his own line of scopes. I’d look at sending it to Burris for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Wow, didn't think it was normal to see a scope oriented in this way, would this potentially have been modded to be used like this?
    Your right, I bet it would be a bitch to sight in like this.
    if yours has in fact been moved like that on purpose it wont be hard to sight in......when its hard is if you tilt scope at 45degrees.....but then @dannyb doesnt tell me my xhairs are on the piss(seem to do the 11;30 not 12;00 thing often) puts the two adjusting turrets on top so at 10;00 and 2;00 as it were.
    Old_School likes this.

@Micky Duck you're scopes are mounted fine

Name:  Screenshot_2023-07-06-15-41-12(2).png
Views: 577
Size:  162.6 KB
    Micky Duck, Joe_90 and Old_School like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    It might be early ‘80’s vintage. Got one here somewhere still useable. Got a 2-7 mini version from same era, steel scope, currently on a bergara b13? Still good as gold. All Burris scopes are image moving, not reticle moving as far as I know. From memory Don Burris, scope designer, left Leupold to start his own line of scopes. I’d look at sending it to Burris for repair.
    Might end up doing that. Does Burris have a repair agent in NZ?
    The fact that the crosshairs appear perfectly at 45 degrees suggests it's probably been intentionally moved rather than accidental damage.
    Last edited by Old_School; 06-07-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    turn the scope in the rings and you will be good to go. cant imagine why no one else suggested it ......
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Way back in the early 90's I had an American client have a bit of a mishap in a large boulder field, and landed on his rifle with the scope on the bottom. The scope was a Burris, scope hit a rock on the front bell housing and bent it about 7-8mm out of line down towards the barrel. Didnt have opens, didnt have a spare scope. After a bit of thinking, I suggested we had nothing to lose, so used the head of an iceaxe to lever it off the barrel until it looked like it was in line. Then we sighted it in and about 8 shots later was shooting fine. The hunt continued successfully for another week. Tough scopes those Burris

I had this with a brand new Leupold. It's a prick and the eye doesn't like having the scope corsshairs at 45deg at all... With the scope out at an angle the corrections just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    I had this with a brand new Leupold. It's a prick and the eye doesn't like having the scope corsshairs at 45deg at all... With the scope out at an angle the corrections just suck.
    bollocks....... for bush hunting in thick stuff it is awesome....the ONLY reason my main bush rifle isnt like it anymore is the post n rail reticle.
    its not a new idea,cullers were doing it many years ago.
    Muttonguts likes this.