Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: X-Bolt, A-Bolt, Sako A7 or Tikka T3.

X Bolt. Please note the A Bolt has been upgraded but has not been made available in NZ. We run an A Bolt but our mates X Bolt is a huge improvement especially with the detachable mag. H e has the latest Dan Can on it without any barrel chop but still nice balance though I personally would prefer an inch to be taken off.

Banned
    Just so you know mate I was in H n F plamy north and theres a sako 75 wood S/S 3x 9x40 zeiss in 243 for 1700 id buy that second hand over the rifles you have mentiond could be well worth a look.
    veitnamcam and Hunt4life like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Just so you know mate I was in H n F plamy north and theres a sako 75 wood S/S 3x 9x40 zeiss in 243 for 1700 id buy that second hand over the rifles you have mentiond could be well worth a look.
    Hell yeah.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Sako A7, I'm set that that's what my next rifle is and it is NOT an expensive tikka! I'd pay an extra couple of hundred bucks any day of the week to be able to readily top load not to mention having a nice hogue stock and a bit better metal to plastic ratio e.g. steel feed lips, has 3 lugs vs tikkas 2 and comes in short and long action not just one generic action...

Let the shit fights roll.....

im with this, 85s are not worth the extra 1k+ over a A7 unless you are into wank factor or a 100% into internet standards. $300 more than a tikka gives you a lot of extra and is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    That's very sensible.

Personally i don't see the advantage in a a7 over a Tikka other than being able to top load.
    Action length is only a bonus if you want a short action caliber but then Tikkas are not exactly heavy even with the long action.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by will16 View Post
    Am looking at purchasing another rifle. What is the best rifle around the $1600 mark, have heard alot of different opinions from rifle dealers but am after some good practical advice from the forum.

Cheers.
    When you say another rifle, does that mean you will have more than one hunting rifle or are you upgrading?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That's very sensible.

Personally i don't see the advantage in a a7 over a Tikka other than being able to top load.
    Action length is only a bonus if you want a short action caliber but then Tikkas are not exactly heavy even with the long action.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Im tempeted to buy it me self.............but im broke!

thought I saw Abolts around $1200 mark.

I own two Tikka T3's and have previously owned a Browning X-Bolt. Personally for that money, if you are looking at new, I would go the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. Bloody nice action (control round feed) and comes with a B&C stock which I have on one of my Tikka's and love it.

I sold my X-Bolt due to endless troubles and very poor accuracy. Not saying are all like mine but I wouldn't buy one again. Shame really, as they are very ergonomic, look the biz and area nice to shoot. Grunta is correct with the triggers on them, shite until you replace the springs, then they are mint. I invested lots of money trying to sort the issues, but alas, only so much you can do to polish up a turd.

A-bolts I have never had much to do with but those that have them love them, same could be said with all the other rifles though. I just don't like the hinged floor plate / detatchable mag combo.

As for the Tikka vs A7, there are differences in the action and ability to top load. One thing that is common is they both almost always shoot exceptionally well. Triggers are great and no need to do any custom work. Just be careful with the A7 if you are going to use a bipod. There is a reason so many people own Tikka's.

TBH I would go into a well stocked store and try them all out for fit and confort when shouldering as that should play a big part in what you end up purchasing. The H&F store in Ashburton is quite a good one and the times I have been there have had good service. Ashburton Firearms & Sports on Moore St are good at doing deals also.
    Grunta likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Well Said Bryan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by will16 View Post
    Am looking at purchasing another rifle. What is the best rifle around the $1600 mark, have heard alot of different opinions from rifle dealers but am after some good practical advice from the forum.

Cheers.
    Hey mate its been slow in the shop so i took the opertunity to bring all these rifles to the shoulder hers my two cents. I first took the ultimate shadow of the wall in 7mm08 good weight but the recoil pad sometimes get caught on my shirt but still comes into the shoulder well seems well balanced.A7 is nice but the stock is tinny but its still a sako!.A bolt in 7mm08 came into my shoulder really well and the palm swell on the pistol grip fit my hand really nicely and its a nice finnish.Tikka t3 is the lightest and other than no palm swell came into the shoulder the easyist IMO.If i was weighing up buying one of the rifles just mentioned for myself id be going with the abolt for the stock but thats how i made my mind up by trying them out myself............however my budget brought me a ultimate shadow hope that helps a bit ,get into the shops and give them all a whirl dont worry about the shop owners gert them to pull every one of the rack for you.
    HUNTY likes this.

I have a Browning A bolt in .270 if anybody was interested. Only selling as I am heading over seas and cant take it with me the same for all my guns really. So if anybody was wanting the A Bolt, a CZ 455 with .17hmr and .22lr rifle barrels ( 5 shots through .17, none through 22) or a remington 870 tac (brand new, never shot) then let me know. Cant sell my AR as I would spend the whole trip crying.
    I prefer the A Bolt to the X bolt any day. Nicer mag set up, feels like a proper rifle and shoots like one too.
    Brother has a X bolt which is nice but features on A Bolt like steel captured mag etc still sell me.

I use a A7 in 7mm08 and know I will never need another weapon to satisfy my need for reliability, a comfortable weight, durability and accuracy. All at a fair price when compared to similar weapons on the market.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog