Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Xbolt WSM advice

Looking into buying a wsm xbolt for a bit more down range punch that my 708 is lacking.

My thoughts are 270wsm running 145eldx - 150lrab or 300wsm running 178eldx - 190lrab

Any of you lads running xbolts with either of these combos have any advise?
    Mag length or Barrel twist issues etc

Intended use is 50/50 long rang gong gun and hill top glassing gun, 22ish inch and suppressed

@Tahr
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

I have the 270wsm at 21.67 inches. Running 150 NBT at 3095. AR2217. When they run out I'll go to eldx. I wouldn't go any shorter. Suppress it and it doesn't kick too bad. I load to mag length, no issues. It does everything I've thrown at it so far. Vx5 on top it's a good reasonably light all rounder.

Not sure about the 300wsm, but I know of a winmag and it's a dog. Maybe too light for the caliber especially at 26 inches.

I also have the 708 running 150 eldx. Not sure the wsm has much advantage especially if you're ranging and dialing but I like the xbolt more than the cheap r700 that groups about 2 of 3 inches after I took it hunting in the rain for a while and let the rot set in.

I’ve got a 270wsm x bolt. Trimmed to 22”. I think it’s a great combination. I put a replacement trigger spring into it and that improved it no end. 270wsm is an easy case to work with and mine has worked with every bullet I’ve tried. I’ve found it mild to shoot suppressed and tolerable un suppressed. It’s also extremely accurate.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi