Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rust !!

Rust !!

Lads,

Just took my shotgun out of the safe. Fuck me there's a spot of rust on the barrel about the size of your thumb nail!!

Don't know how this has started. None of the other rifles in there show any. Maybe it touched something before it was stored last time. Don't know. Not happy!!!!

Anyway. How to deal with such??? I would like to get the barrel re blued if anyone knows anyone around who does such work?? It's a A303 Beretta 12 g semi auto, so it's just a single barrel with the fittings for the gas port etc.

I would like to keep it original looking if I could. Don't think ceracote is the answer. This was the first shotgun that I ever brought and it is very sentimental to me. I've shot a lot of ducks with it, possums, parries. You name it.

Anyone had any bluing done ??

Thats not too large a spot. Suggest start by scrubbing the area with a toothbrush and lots of wd40, then follow up with leather. Lets know what is left.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Number 4 steel wool will take it off without affecting the finish. Use with engine oil if you've got some.

Unless it really bad.

Cerakote comes in colours that replicate bluing so I wouldn't discount it. It would definitely give you peace of mind when using and storing the gun.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

DO NOT USE STEEL ON STEEL. too abrasive. Buy soft stainless wool scourer, I get them at paknsave for bugger all, use oil as a lubricant and slowly with minimal pressure go back and forth over the rust. Wipe off the brown oil crud and have a look, if its working well then carry on. If it's not working because the rust has formed hard scales I normally take a fired brass case and use the edge to scratch at and break the rust scale, then apply a bit more oil and continue with the steel wool.

If your like me and enjoy buying rusty old milsurp then I would invest some time in boiling and carding or veeeeeeeeery careful use of electrolysis (though I am sceptical of this method long term as I think it things the blue.

Remember rust blooms on the surface for quite a while before it starts eating metal deeply and putting. Surface rust is really just part of gun ownership and easy to clean so that no one could ever tell it was there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

And for all those people who don't reoil there guns once a year or so and they sit there dry well I'd encourage you to run a clean white rag over your seemingly good blue. It will come back brown! Gun blue needs oil or it will naturally deteriorate unless in perfect environment conditions.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

a thumbnail sized spot will probably be a fingerprint,sweaty fingerprints will do this everytime a coconut.... taking gun out of cabinet 3-4 days after putting it away for another quick look can be eye opening if youve been in salty enviroment...its part of my must do now after having been caught out a few times.
    Gun nut likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

A few people on here a while ago recommended using the CRC long life anti rust on the outside of your rifles in the safe. I've had no exterior rust since using it. I do wipe a rag sprayed with it over the rifles every month or two though. Cheers

Name:  crc.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  236.4 KB
    Sideshow and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    a thumbnail sized spot will probably be a fingerprint,sweaty fingerprints will do this everytime a coconut.... taking gun out of cabinet 3-4 days after putting it away for another quick look can be eye opening if youve been in salty enviroment...its part of my must do now after having been caught out a few times.
    I have what some people call "acid hands" my fingerprints are very prominent in brown should I not clean a gun correctly so I am now well versed in care and cleaning of gun blue

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quadruple zero steel wool with a lubricant should get rid of the issue.
    dannyb and No.3 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    A few people on here a while ago recommended using the CRC long life anti rust on the outside of your rifles in the safe. I've had no exterior rust since using it. I do wipe a rag sprayed with it over the rifles every month or two though. Cheers

Attachment 220329
    Yup all I use inside bore and outside of rifle, works great cause it doesn't run or drip like normal crc
    bumblefoot and Sideshow like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yup all I use inside bore and outside of rifle, works great cause it doesn't run or drip like normal crc
    Worth pointing out never use crc 556 on blued guns, There are rust removing ingredients inside and you will deteriorate the bluing of nice guns.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Worth pointing out never use crc 556 on blued guns, There are rust removing ingredients inside and you will deteriorate the bluing of nice guns.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Handy to know
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I use a stainless pad called a Frontier Big 45 Cleaning pad - which to all intents and purposes is a stainless pot scrub. Spray some light oil - I use CRC cos I have it - onto the pad and gently rub on the rust spot . The pad should remove the rust but leave the blue . I have de-rusted some pretty awfull rifles this way.....
    This is the way to go. Does exactly that, will remove the rust but not the blue or any patina there might be on an older gun. I use Ezzox with it not CRC.