Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bore Rust?

Bore Rust?

Is this rust in my bore? Notice the small brown patch to the right and just down from centre. There are several of these spots inside the muzzle which can be seen with the naked eye.Name:  IMG_4118(1).jpg
Views: 422
Size:  103.4 KB
    Last edited by Magnetite; 03-09-2022 at 09:42 PM.

best you clean it pronto.....and leave it with light coat of light oil..like 3n1/sewing machine oil....or the likes of break free CLP.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

pic is too blurry to say

kind of looks like a gravel road!

what calibre is it?

it looks like it could be copper? you definitely need to fire that rifle more haha.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It’s a 6.5mm.

Could it be some kind of copper fouling?

I smell neglect? Or corrosion..

Usually copper is laid down in longer streaks but if it's the early stages, could be a short one like that. Either way, the bigger question is Why was it left uncleaned?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Did you store it with a suppressor attached.....?
    Fssprecision likes this.

Caretaker
    Is that a rifle barrel ?
    Shearer likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

As for why it's uncleaned. I've been cleaning about every 50 rounds. The last clean was about a month ago. There is just too much contradictory information about cleaning out there.

The suppressor is always removed after use.

Yes, it's a rifle barrel.
    Muttonguts likes this.

For sure it's rust......put a dry patch through and if it is brown there is no doubt. Problem with rust pitting is that there will always now be a layer of rust at the bottom of the pit and that will attract moisture and more rust......you are going to have to change your cleaning regime regardless of what the "contradictory information" says.

Probably a good lesson about which information to rely on....!
    Bagheera, chainsaw and Moa Hunter like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Ideally, the bore should be smooth and shiny and the rifling edges square and sharp. If you have a chance to compare yours with a new barrel I think you will see the difference. I would suggest an immediate "deep clean" starting with carbon remover and a cloth patch followed by copper solvent and a bronze brush. I think you could expect to take a good half hour of repeated cleaning before you know if there is any irreparable damage to the bore. Then again, at the end of the day, if it shots to your satisfaction don't worry about it.
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

This is why I always put an oily patch down my rifles after cleaning them and putting them away never had any issues with rust. I also clean them every time I use them, not full on bore scrub and copper clean but patch with your chosen solvent till patches come out clean then oily patch and wipe down inside and out plus bolt. This is just my regime and it works for me.
    I copper clean when needed ie: when I can see it.

I have a mate that shoots competition and he copper cleans a carbon cleans every single time, my rifles shoot as good as his
    Bagheera likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

certainly looks like rust and a bad case of corrosion - water getting in ?? or stored in really damp environment - not cleaned after firing ?? personally I think your cleaning regime has failed that barrel - there is a difference between protection and overcleaning - always remember oils coat - solvents pentetrate -- its entirely possible to put a coat of oil over rust and metallic fouling -there's nothing wrong with putting a kind solvent such as hoppes no9 (petroleum based) thru barrel on rag after taking rifle out for day - remove next day and replace with something like Remington oil - but thats simple preventative - dont take to barrell with a steel brush ( only ever bronze ) and harsh solvent ( ammonia based ) that's were the conflicting cleaning info comes from - prevention is better than cure -if I take my rifle out and dont fire it I put a thin coat of breakfree thru barrell that night to get rid of any moisture then dry rag next day - once home dry rag and rem oil -if I have fired it then hoppes no 9 -rarely do I use a bronze brush and even then sparingly - but your barrel needs some serious attention -remove stock and give barrel a good coating inside of hoppes no 9 or other metallic solvent - leave overnight -dry rag - then bronze brush ( likely 10 -12 strokes)and solvent -dry rags - more solvent overnight -dry rag - now what does that rag look like - brown thats rust coming out -green thats mettalic fouling coming out - keep doing the process until dry rags come out same colour as solvent -you tube has some great videos on barrel care - yours may even need more harsh methods such as brushing out with a soft abbrasive like ajax -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    your cleaning regime has failed that barrel
    That sums things up. Here's a picture after cleaning... Looks like it's heavily pitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images