Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By Forestry

Thread: 284 and ELDX strike again

284 and ELDX strike again

Took the 284 for a South Island walk last week. We 4WD into a big block surrounded by DOC land and saw quite a few animals driving in including a decent boar that disappeared into a tunnel in the scrub. He popped out about 100m further up the hill on the move and the only rifle ready was a Ruger 270. Range about 280m and with an average rest I managed to drop the pig but not properly. Digging out the 284 win I felt a bit better with a familiar rifle so I climbed up the hill through blackberry and matagouri and when I got close the pig stood up and eyed me….he was pretty big so I wacked a 162 ELDX into the base of the neck. I found the bullet the next day perfectly mushroomed on the off side and it’s the first one that hasn’t gone through so the pigs shield must be tough.

Attachment 171568

The next day I saw a few deer but got excited when another boar showed up. He moved behind some scrub up a hill so I found a good rock and with my Swazi anorak over the rock got ready. A quick range at 200yards and a few clicks on the VX3 and I was ready. He poked his head out and one shot later never moved an inch. Decent exit and some more good pork

The last morning we found a mob of reds getting some warm sun after a very hard frost overnight. Narrowing the range to 250 yards we got set up. I lined up a nice fat one and dropped it on the spot. Unfortunately the hill was steep and it took a while criss crossing though Manuka scrub to find it. Momentum had taken it down to the creek.

Attachment 171567

Final evening was goat control time and to be honest there are way too many in this area. After seeing heaps over the trip I only saw 3 that evening but got them all.

A good trip with great company. Deer numbers are pretty high so we didn’t feel bad filling the freezer with a few hinds and left the young stags alone.

The 284 with 162 ELDX are great and continue to deliver as a combo if I do my part. I’ve only got a few left with the 760 loads and will move onto the Reloader 16 batch next which are a bit quicker at about 2800fps
    nor-west, Moa Hunter and ROKTOY like this.

yo, pics of the projies please. stuff the deer ha ha

nah good stuff, interestedi nseeing the eldx up close performance on that pig! i worry about puttin one into a big sambar sometimes.. not that it will stop me, but i guess i better reload quick, but some pics would help
    the 7RM is doin a bit quicker i think though with the 162

Banned
    Dirty big boar that, were you in the Marlborough area ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Dirty big boar that, were you in the Marlborough area ?
    Sorry started two threads by mistake

Spot on with the region Moa Hunter. First time ever hunting there and seems pretty good to me!
    Moa Hunter likes this.