Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Deer in Strange Places

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Perhaps I should take a thunder stick when I go to shift an electric fence tomorrow morning. There was talk of deer in the pines behind us before they were milled a couple of years back. The only deer I saw here was an escapee from up the road. That was 25 years ago. Pines have been replanted though.
    Grandpamac.
    dont take a rifle or camera.......there will be dozens of them.........take a rifle and they will hide in the pines snickering

December is just around the corner= Silly season for spikers everywhere

December 1st week,my son n law seen a red spiker 300 yds from my house 4 yrs ago.3yrs ago my wife seen a fallow spiker out the kitchen window .
    And last night those 4 yearlings at Fairlie, last week of November.
    Gota be a good time of the yr for tasty meat.
    Micky Duck likes this.

There are apparently well over a dozen deer living in a micro patch of scrub not 5mins from our life sentence block. A guy was watching groups of about five feeding in a big paddock with his thermal recently.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Last friday before Pipiriki there was a fallow on the road edge. Watched it for about 5 minutes and then it walked into the bush. Next bend looked across the river to see 2 nice pigs. Then next bend 3 hunters glassing across river watching 3 fallow on farm edge. This at 5.15pm. Glorious day.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Saw a fallow in the kawakawa opposite Murphy's on the Matata straights a couple of years ago. See plenty of reds on SH36 between Pyes Pa and Hamurana, plenty of fallow there but not seen any.

Saw on community page the other day spiker roaming round twizel township. We had a fallow buck on security camera setup looking at our fuel tanks last year, had to walk through a lot of open ground, past dairy shed, down drive and past house to get there. More and more deer in NZ in recent times. See them on the road round here all the time, fallow and reds and hear of more and more stories of farmers calling in choppers etc to deal to them.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

the fallow have been between fairlie and pleasant point for years n years.....Ive seen a red spiker within 2kms of geraldine town centre...and to hell with it,I LIKE TO SEE THEM...... if numbers need controlling,so be it,but its really good to see them.
    Trout, 7mmwsm and 257weatherby like this.

My son has a photo of a fallow doe feeding on a roadside berm by the old Wallaceville animal research Center in Upper Hutt. Took it at 4.30am last Saturday as he was heading over the Wairarapa pig hunting.

Plenty of such 'peri-urban' deer here in the UK, particularly the smaller species.

Best turn your head and look away!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Not a long neck, but did see a randy rutting Chammy buck come off the hill and wandered up the main drag of Hanmer lookin for poontang.No animals were harmed
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I been thru there a few times lately ......still aint seen no dog kennel.....,must have had a bunch of deer standin in front of it
    'Bout three yrs ago I saw a young Bull Tahr running beside the road at Dog kennel corner. He was on the right as you head towards tekapo

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I had a like experience....sorta....again at approximately 3 km on the Timaru side of Fairlie last year.....Though in this instance it was 11 am in the morning. Three well antlered fallow stags, one sitting and the other two grazing in the middle of a paddock of fodder-beat right next to the highway. It was ordinary fencing around the paddock and even though only 60 meters from the road they looked unperturbed and as if they owned the place. I wondered if they had escaped a deer enclosure somewhere else on the farm but had a farm worker further in tell me that they quite often see wild deer wandering across their paddocks at all times during the day.

Makes one think that there is more deer closer to hand in the Albury Range than the natives of Fairlie let on.

Cheers
    Phil
    Stop thinking! no deer here, nothing to see folks, move right along, thank you very much.....
    Trout, Micky Duck, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

Have a lifestyle block about 10 km as the crow flies from parliament. A couple of months ago we counted 52 in paddocks over the final 1 km to home. Son counted 40 in 3 neighbouring properties about 3 weeks ago.
    Trout and Moa Hunter like this.

I live at the end of a cul de sac on the edge of Te Kuiti township. Early in the morning, I have seen red & fallow 3-4 times from my lounge window.
    Trout and Moa Hunter like this.