Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The Great NZHS take a kid hunting comp

wow must be lunchtime.Nice
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...444/#post43805

Posted a full weekend report now

The plan is to take the kids out after possums on Saturday night if the day goes well and they can still walk (calf club, then sports)

Then next weekend they are out with me again weather depending...maybee.... might just go in the rain again
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well done again Lethal. Kids are the future and doing what you do with them will bring a great deal of balance into their lives. They will remember that and tell their kids and grand kids long after you have gone.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

3 deer down for the kids , Daughter did well 2 x head shots..... Not realy hunting but not easy to get head shots either (prefered target on these fellow)....story next week

Fallow time

Sika Show was on again so a good time to catch up with Mike Debs and the boys and Rose had a deer with her name on it…. Meat animals and being tasty we fallow its head shots only..Farm Rules!
    Michael was a little put out he wouldn’t get the chance but as it turned out one needed to be dropped for the neighbor to say thanks for the use of his new chiller …. Handy thing to have just down the road

First thing jobs to do, Shift stock breaks, feed the lambs,

look at the trigger on the new slug gun Andrew got…..Bit rough on the meeting surfaces so smooth them up a tad….ohh then it didn’t work :X 3 Hours later I found after pulling it to bits several times that yup the trigger is fine its another part that was the problem. This was eating in to target time bugger. Oh well check the 243AI and 223 are sighted in on a rock…and leave the group tests for another day, while the kids played in the drain seams they could play with the slug gun

All go time to set up for a Fallow, Now these are not hard to see but to get them in a spot to shoot a clear head shot without another in the background and be ready quick enough is a challenge that Michael wanted to try first, Myself as backup, We had to either take a spiker or young hind as the numbers are managed. There was a nice spiker there for the taking but he kept close quarters with the stags….and Michael just wasn’t quick enough when nothing was in the background but there was a yong hind sitting on the track in the open so he took a shot at that but being 250+ yards I told him to aim lower on the neck…A bit of an ask for a head shot at that range for a 10yr old…he missed the neck and drilled straight through the front legs…bugger as the 87gr Vmax @ 3200+ fps blew an exit hole I could damn near fit both hands in.. No meat of the front of this one, the shot was a little high so missed the heat so I put one in the head to stop it kicking about…It wasn’t going anywhere but I hadn’t seen where he hit it and didn’t want it getting back up.

Photo time for Michael

Now with that one out of the way and some very spooked deer it wasn’t going to be easy to get one for Rose, The deer would be in full sight for the others but out of site of us….or just running past….funny that. With the radios busy trying to get in the right spot had us set up in a few different locations and all failed to begin with but between spot I spied a nice spiker standing in front of a tree about 150 yards away so a quick set up and rose let the 223 go to action, I was standing looking through my scope and missed the impact when I jumped…A call on the Radio and Mike called a miss, So we kept on our way to where mike was, look beside the tree and there was a lump beside it…scoped it and yup dead deer It had dropped so quick that he didn’t see it drop and wasn’t kicking on the ground, Being Michaels deer wasn’t that big and with the front end being minced and Rose did a cracker shot she was given the opportunity to shoot another, set up and this time I was further up the track trying to distract the deer so they would stop out of sight from me but in sight of Rose…Saw her aim and another shot thundered out from the mighty 223 2 head shots 2 deer and have yet to shoot a group on paper with the little Marlin XS7

Roses pic’s

ands a pic of the bucks.... nothing super special but still nice to see

Been a busy weekend so I hope that makes sense and isn't too full of typo's

Cheers
    veitnamcam, Tim, Dundee and 2 others like this.

Those are nice fallow, Have you seen any black ones?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Those are nice fallow, Have you seen any black ones?
    some of this heard is are dark I dont think any of the stags are though.. not as black as some up on the Manukau heads

Thats awesome & great experience for the kids .Plenty of smiles ,who wouldn't be though Fallow is absolutely lovely how ever its cooked.

Now if I could just find a hunting spot like that.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Thats awesome & great experience for the kids .Plenty of smiles ,who wouldn't be though Fallow is absolutely lovely how ever its cooked.

Now if I could just find a hunting spot like that.

Yup beeuuwwwttifull eating

Michael wasn't all that happy I had to finish his off, he wanted too but at that range it may have waisted more meat if a second shot went west.....

Pic sort of shows the damage a Vmax can do, not the untimate pill for meat recovery if they hit the shoulder/ backsteak area

Deer spots on farms like that are great and this little heard is great for payback...In my case I did a fair bit of gun work for free so these we a thankyou for that

Interested in how you hang the deer in ,have you put hooks in the top or a bar ? Wouldn't think its strong enough to take the weight,any strengthening needed? Be handy to have so don't have to hassle round hiring chiller space.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Interested in how you hang the deer in ,have you put hooks in the top or a bar ? Wouldn't think its strong enough to take the weight,any strengthening needed? Be handy to have so don't have to hassle round hiring chiller space.
    I have a sheet of ply that sits on the top shelf to spread the load with some eyelets bolted in to hook to...can hang a few red legs as well the the broken down meat under them...not ideal but very handy

Can sort of see the top in this pic

Thanks Leathel .Ply would need to be 25mm or so to have enough load bearing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Well done again Lethal. Kids are the future and doing what you do with them will bring a great deal of balance into their lives. They will remember that and tell their kids and grand kids long after you have gone.
    Just read this comment....

I didn't do much hunting with my father apart from the odd rabbit shoot....but did some goat shooting with my Uncle then did a fair bit of deer and possum with freinds, that little bit of rabbit shooting was enough to get me going. I hope these hunts and the future ones get them keen to get out with freinds, then out with their kids (with me tagging along) and then there own grandkids

Even if they just do the tramping part, Living on Xboxes etc does the mind no good IMHO

Good stuff Lethal, I saw that chiller pic and was thinking "Hmmmmmmmmm great idea!" when I have a garage again I think I will troll TM for a cheapie fridge to convert good kiwi ingenuity mate!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Good stuff Lethal, I saw that chiller pic and was thinking "Hmmmmmmmmm great idea!" when I have a garage again I think I will troll TM for a cheapie fridge to convert good kiwi ingenuity mate!
    Yup thats were that fridge freezer came from $100 Lives at my workshop so the on Monday morning the boys come in and open the fridge to put the drinks in and find its full of animals again