Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How vikings hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    At around the 6:45 mark it had ridiculously good camouflage. I didn't see it until you shot it
    They are AMAZINGLY well camouflagued. On a stalk (which I managed to capture on film) I approach a group of 4 birds feeding/ resting and shot one at perhaps 90 meters.
    4 birds jumped up, but didn't fly so figured I underestimated the wind, held stronger and shot another two misses.
    As this was going on, a sleeping bird put it's head up 6-7 meters in front of me (they sleep under the snow) and I shot that one (hugely thanks to reticle design).

After collecting this bird, I reviewed the film to try and see if I could spot bullet strike and figure out if ot was poor windcall or bad shooting. My position was a bit weak on collapsing snow so I was unable to fully call my shot as I would on a firm surface.
    Turns out I made a perfect shot and the bird was lying there, only there were 5 birds feeding not 4. Even at 90 meters I was unable to see the dead bird (lying in plain sight on broken snow) through my 10x Leica binoculars, but the high zoom of the camera showed me the bird.
    I almost skied away not bringing that bird.

So yeah, these birds CAN be very demanding to see if the light is wrong. Aging eyes doesn't help either.
    Russian 22. likes this.