Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the scudd

Thread: Last of the season [ireland]

Last of the season [ireland]

my mate invited me out on the last day to try for some hinds and calves in the Wicklow mountains, started out after 7 yesterday morning saw a big gang of hinds out on the hill but as I crawled in for a shot I got pinged so after a shrill whistle the whole lot cleared, ah well time to try another spot. we glassed from the lane and saw 2 hinds and 2 calves about 1km out on the hill, had a nice stalk and just as I was getting ready to shoot a hybrid hind came in over the hill and gave us away, so on up the hill we went after about 300 yards we spied about 12 hybrids and 3 sika I crawled in to a shootable position and nailed a rather scrawny looking calf, happy days number 1 in the bag. After a handy drag back to the motor we had some grub and checked out some other spots.
    Back to another place we spied a nice group way out on the hill so I set of crawling up the edge of a small stream after a great stalk for 2 hours I got in on them but with the hilly ground I could only see stags I cursed my bad luck then out of a deep gut stepped a hybrid hind with a calf at foot, after about 10 minutes the calf turned side on offering a shot and as the 25.06 barked the calf dropped, I lay in the heather and watched a group of maybe 30 animals look around them not sure what had happened, that was one of the most enjoyable stalks I ever had. well back to the motor.
    Was about 5 oclock when I got to the motor and david says come on to try for another, we went back to the same place we went at first light, I could see deer already out feeding so I stuck my shooting sticks in the heather as they make crawling awkward, I had the lead on the dog and crawled forward and got ready to shoot, the sako barked and I saw the sika hind crumple, decided to go back for me shooting sticks before it got dark, then I went up to where the hind fell and guess what she had done a hoodini, searched high and low no sign I was gutted, don,t like to loose an animal. by now its black dark, I have almost given up when the dog disappeared into the darkness, well the dog found it, hard to believe it but it had ran about 200 yards. it was a great end to the season.
    sorry if its been a bit drawn out. cheers
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Thanks TS. Some photos would have been good but you obviously had a good day
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Awesome TS back to Dublin for a Guinness?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

rushy sorry no pics I have some from a hunt in November I will try to put them up, I,m not to hot on the pc.
    maca not this time came of the hill after 7pm then had to head on home[ 150 miles]

Thats a long way to head home. Any hunting on Caurrauntoohill?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Well done Scudd, sounds like an epic day mate!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt