Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: One for the BBQ

One for the BBQ

XR500's get together sparked thoughts of summer BBQ's, so DazzzH and I snuck out Sunday afternoon to check a spot that often produces around this time of year.

Parked the Toyota and headed into the creek to head for the tops. Breaking out of the bush Dazz was having a quick glass when he said "there's a deer" No, I said - there is two deer. No, It's one. This went back and forward till we realised we were looking at different deer.... They slipped away while we closed the distance, so we reverted to the original plan and headed ever upward.

A quick glance at another pan showed two Reds, but they also got away to enjoy another day... so back uphill we went.

We arrived and set up, and 20 minutes later "there's one, 520m". A quick dial, zero wind and down she goes.

I headed across to grab it while Dazz went up the valley to where I was going to emerge, and we headed home. Unfortunately my phone decided it didn't like blood on my hands and stopped unlocking - so no GPS. We took a long, slow trip across the tops, down the hill, through the bush, down the creek..... up out of the creek and finally back to the car at 0100. 5 hours for a 2 hour walk has to be some sort of record for me.

Enough gabble, here are the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Ross Nolan; 05-12-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    Norway, Nathan F, Trout and 32 others like this.

Nicely done. Lovely looking view.
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Nicely done. Lovely looking view.
    I never get tired of the view. Last night there was too much moonlight for stargazing, but I've great memories of laying in the tussock completely buggered looking at the milky way.

Just awesome stuff.
    Trout, Rusky, 300CALMAN and 6 others like this.

Central Plateau on a nice night in late Spring/Summer is hard to beat
    308, Shearer, Ross Nolan and 1 others like this.

That was a evening/night to remember, 8 deer seen and fantastic weather. Company was pretty good too. One of my favorite evenings up that spot was the night of crystal clear skies and the meteor shower that went on for what must have been 15 minutes. Wow, memories, a lot of years hunting up there!!
    Tahr, 308, Shearer and 6 others like this.

Stop it, I'm blushing.

I think I first went up to that spot 27 years ago.
    Christ only knows how many deer we've pulled out of there but I'm thinking they might be coming out in bits in future. I'm still sore.
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Stop it, I'm blushing.

Christ only knows how many deer we've pulled out of there but I'm thinking they might be coming out in bits in future. I'm still sore.
    Great stuff Ross. I'm a bit gutted that I missed XR's little get together.

Decided that I need more (new) hunting contacts. All mine are useless. Cant go for numerous reasons

1) work,
    2) jobs to do at home
    3) wife won't let them (this one makes me gag)
    4) Anything else which gets in the way

I keep on trying to impress upon them that we aren't getting any younger and before we know it taking a quick stroll inthe scrub will be a big job. Alas, to no avail.

If i keep on thinking about this I will give myself a complex.............

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Stop it, I'm blushing.

You carried it out whole????

At your tender age?

Give yourself a stiff uppercut!

And buy a roll of muslin and some pillow cases...
    Pengy, Micky Duck and Dazzh like this.

Went back yesterday, and brought a red home this morning.
    More glorious scenery, and good company.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Norway, Tahr, Shearer and 10 others like this.

Fantastic area. I have some great memories from there too. In fact some old photos from around there just popped up on the computer tonight. Love that place.
    Name:  Red.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  361.2 KB
    Name:  P1272398.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  2.21 MB
    Norway, Tahr, Trout and 12 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Haha reminds me of digging holes and carrying a bloody MG but also hunting there. Time to go back.

Do you ever get grief from round the mountain hikers in there?

Very seldom. Mostly they are just interested in what I am doing - and interested to hear that there are deer in the area.

I did stay one night at the Waihohonu hut and an awesome party from Wellington made a hell of a racket all night after giving me a hard time about hunting. I dropped my saucepan several times when I cooked a VERY early breakfast, but I did say sorry. I must have been clumsy due to a bad nights sleep.

That is the only grief I've had in 40 years of hunting on the mountain. In fact, the only time I've ever been given a hard time about hunting. People are usually surprised to see a "normal" person hunting. I'm not sure that the image they are fed via the media is entirely fair.
    Tahr, cb14, Shearer and 6 others like this.

I have experienced exactly the same hunting that area. Encountered hundreds of trampers over the years and generally get very positive feedback.
    The odd one sees you with a rifle and avoids eye contact but most are interested to hear what you are doing. My worst experience was with a volunteer hut warden I met on a track while heading in for a hunt. He feed me all sorts of BS about what I should and shouldn't be doing (contrary to what my hunting permit conditions said) so I just smiled and said "yes sir" and carried on. You would be surprised where the deer appear once the trampers are in the huts for the night.
    Micky Duck, XR500 and Average-Lad like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Used to hunt an area north of mountain, 1980, by the outdoor pursuits place, think it was called SF42, nice rolling scattered scrub and clearings, easy going. Mostly hunted it winter so kinder cold. Remember rocking up to the pub other side of the road from the chateau, it was going off, trendy skiers, got a table no problem a week in the bush and wet bloody swandries, was a good night. Heaps of pigs in there, we were after deer, Choppers were hitting it hard, buggered up many stalks, 5 minutes away from their cosy houses bustards.